Mounting the spotting scope to the lead sled, good or bad idea?

SARuger

The range I frequent is busy and space is tight between the benches. Not much room for a tripod behind the firing line.

I can weld and fabricate almost everything so I thought about making a bracket off the frame for the spotting scope then my lazy --- wouldnt even have to get up to look at my shot :D

Thoughts? My scope is a cheap one since I do not use it for hunting so I'm not sure how it will hold up to recoil or if it even matters.

I don't know the geometry of your bench but at my range, the bench has a flat front that is great for helping to align a spotting scope.

I put mine on a camera tripod and place one leg along the front of the bench. That way the scope does not take up a lot of room and is not on top of the bench nor is it at the back of the bench so someone could knock it over. Once the scope is set for the range I am shooting at, it is pretty much left alone. I am a right handed shooter and the only time I have been concerned about the scope is when a left hander sets up on the bench to my immediate left. That can be a little dicey. The way I have mine set up is the spotting scope is right in front of me and my rifle is on bags to the right of it. I don't need to touch the scope at all and it does not interfere with the rifle. I predict a bad outcome if you mount your scope to a sled. Those things are pretty tough but I don't think they are THAT tough. I can't imagine they would stay on target.

I use a pretty good quality camera tripod and only use the thickest and stiffest legs to get it set up. Once set for the proper height, I never collapse everything. Just fold the legs in and shorten them as much as I can. The center elevation rack never moves.

I guess I could make something to clamp it to the bench instead. That would eliminate the recoil issue or at least most of it.

I use a small tripod that fits on the bench nicely. At home, shooting off a Workmate, I use a full-size photo tripod that sits on the ground, but have to be careful not to knock it over when getting up or moving around.

BIG "C" clamp, or sliding carpenter's clamp & spot weld a 1/2-120 bolt to it.
Bolt any standard camera ball & socket or pan & tilt head.:)

Bar-Clamp

I guess I could make something to clamp it to the bench instead.
They already make one and it looks pretty as wogpotter has described. I think I saw it listed, in Sportman's Guide. It just clamps on to a bench or table top. I can see the wheels are a turning and looks like it won't be long before you have one. The clamp was not a C-Clamp but one of those long-bar extension clamps and the scope was mounted on the end of the bar. My memory sucks, so good luck. Be sure and post a picture when you have one. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Close but less involved !!

I think I can make one a GOOD bit cheaper
I'm sure you can and will. The one I was referring to was similar in function but not as fancy. The one I saw, started out as a simple cabinet makers "Bar"- clamp and went from there. When and if I run into it again, I'll let send you the link. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

A lead layer does not allow for the what firearm manufacturers and quality scope manufacturers intended when the two come together. The issue is a quality specific match to the firearm. Lead sheath does not make a match to the barrel or the scope, but for a "feel" of comfort fit. Don't use this method to a system that has been in place for centuries. Just clean the contact point with a reputable cleaner/gun oil solution, wipe clean and mount the scope. Then the two components are married together as specs required in the first place. After the range firing, always use a "penetrating" cleaner/oil spray around that part of your rifle...and wipe the external clean. Lead is a dis-similar metal, and in tightening, will squeeze out some of the soft metal and will most likely look "tacky."

I had mis-read the question the first time...but my suggestion is to keep the spotting scope separate from the lead sled, as the sled still takes a jolt from each discharge. The spotting scope does not need repeated jolts. It needs to be independently locked in place because of its sensitivity to movement.

Thanks for the idea

SARuger,
Just a suggestion but couldn't you take one of these window scope bases and clamp it onto a bar-clamp bar. In fact, I have a spare as well a the bar clamp and think I'll do just that. You will be able to clamp it anywhere you want, on the bench or most any place you choose. ..... ;)

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist?k=spotting+scope+stand&pg=2

Alpen Vehicle Window Mount
Item # WX2-624247

Thanks for the idea and;
Be Safe !!!

I made one today. I took an old bar clamp and mounted an old disassembled tripod onto it. I think it will work just fine

IMG_20150403_123055_374.jpg

And best of all.......I didn't spend a dime! It took me 30min in my welding shop messing around. The biggest tool I used was the drill press and vertical metal bandsaw.

There you go, improvise!
Now you need a (free) brass catcher too.

(Just ignore the numpty 1/2 way between the firing line & the butts.):eek:
winner_zpsf6822690.jpg

(Image (c) WogPotter 2012)

I can do that! A fine mesh fishing net mounted to the other bar clamp I didn't use thats still in the woodworking shop. I got this!!!! :D

Back