Mounting scope on mosin nagant.

Peptobismol9

Its a 91/30 With a round receiver. I dont have alot of money. Im at a 70 dollar budget, But I looked at a mosin nagant 91/30 pu with a scope, and fell in love. I want to put a scope on it that stays close if not exact to the original design. I would also need to know how to install it because I have no experience in drilling and tapping. If this fails I might just sell my NEF 243. I think I could probally get 500 if I sell the scope too. And grab one from the local Gun store. They want 599 dollars for it and Im really broke.
So to sum it up.
1. Where do I get the scope?
2. How do I install it?
3. Would it be worth it to trade the NEF?
Any help would be appreciated cause My parents just arent into helping me out with this stuff. I have Had my own personal sucess in firearm modifications, specifically with mag feeds, but 0 experience with mounting, or buying scopes. I Do not under any circumstances want to change stocks, or place plastic on the rifle.

Last edited:
From personal experience I would put off placing a scope on your MN and just shoot open sights. I bought a scope/mount kit off http://www.combathunting.com/Products-MOSIN_NAGANT.html . My goal was to keep the gun in as close to original condition as possible, so I went with scout scope kit. It was easy enough to remove the rear sight leaf and replace it with the mount. Took it to the range and it looked like I had shot a shotgun at the target.

Lessons learned:
1. Get some loctite *sp for the screws.
2. Make sure all the screws on the mount are tight. I missed the middle one on the mount and I had problems all day with the mount pitching up or down.
3. The scope will change how you hold the rifle (and bruise you accordingly)

Second time out I thought I fixed all the problems mentioned above.
1. mount still came loose
2. accuracy diminished every time I shot a few rounds.

Fed up I took the scope off and replaced the rear sight leaf. I was able to put 6/6 rounds in a pie plate at 100yds easily.

Other setups might work for you, but FWIW, I would shoot for a while with the irons to see how you like it. The MN is an accurate gun and should be able to put the bullet wherever you want it. The trick is developing good marksmanship skills.

*added*
My brother-in-law got the bolt conversion kit, monte carlo stock and a scope kit for his Nagant. After taking it to the gunsmith and getting everything switched out, it looks like a much more modern gun. On the downside, it still doesn't shoot any more accurately. We took ours to the range and shot at a target about 50 yds away. I got two touching the bullseye and the rest within 2 inches with open sights. We both used his rifle and made a 4 inch group wide left of the center. Moving the center over a couple inches really isn't a big deal, but personally I would rather have a rifle I can pick up and shoot over a rifle I have to constantly tweak to fire accurately.

Last edited:
mounting scope on nagant

there is a guy on line that makes the bolt for the Nagant he sells them for $65.00 you dont need to cut the bolt off or nothing i've forgotten his web sight but if you type in Nagant bolt i'm sure you will find him good look. Basically that all you need to make sure you can install a rail for the scope. The bolt has to be bent in order to mount a scope. thereis the kit at cheaper then dirt and other companys but hey have screws in them i would go for the guy how makes the bolts hims i'll look for his web sight again and contact you about it.
Semper Fi

Aww, you buy a cheap mount and you wonder why it shifted? My Darrell's Scout Scope mount hasn't shifted a microinch since I installed her.

I think cheaper than dirt has a mount that replaces the rear sight and has integral rings. suppose to be a good one.

Lucky I got my Darrell's while I did I guess.

(Note- Still has them in stock for M38's and M44's, and his prices include shipping) Plus this----
M91/30 & M91/59 Scout Mounts

***!!OUT OF STOCK!!***
Will be starting a new batch soon. Contact me to get on the Back-Order Waiting list and get a $10 discount, if you pre-pay when I ask for it.

DON'T get the ATI scope mount kit. It's a hacksaw, drill and tap the reciever kind of deal that turns you Nagant into a BUBBA machine.

If you want to scope a Nagant the best inexpensive way is a scout scope mount $20 and long eye relief scope $55 for NcStar 2-7x32mm IR. :D

Otherwise you have to address the bolt knob. The PU replica scope and mount's + Turned down bolt handle will cost you $250.

Back