Mounting problems with vintage Bushnell Custom railed .22 scope

bamaranger

I've been wanting to scope a Henry .22 and was a bit vexed over what to mount on same. A modern 1" scope, no matter the size, all seemed a bit bulky on the svelte Henry lever. I realize all the advantages of a modern 1" scope, I'm partial to the Leupold 4x28mm rimfire scope, and may end up w/ one, but......

I've been given a vintage, 7/8" tube Bushnell 4x Custom .22 scope. This old scope has an integral rail and a special mount to allow placement on grooved receivers. When all assembled on the Henry, the crosshairs are way canted. No fiddling with the base screws will correct it.

The old scope is in great shape, looks "right" on the Henry, and I'd like to run it for awhile. But I cannot abide the canted crosshairs. The Custom .22 scopes with the rail were common items once, anybody ever try to correct a canted scope by tweaking the rail/base/dovetails somehow???

follow up

A couple of other options didn't work out, and I ended up clamping the old Bushnell on the Herny .22 anyhow. Looks great.

Getting a zero was a hassle, as I was moving along two axis with a single adjustment everytime, due to the slight cant of the reticle. But eventually, I got on target, and can live with the cant, I guess.

The setup looks "right". Somebody ought to make a modern, quality, 7/8" or 3/4" tube to fit on the smaller .22's.

Back