Mounting Optima 2000 onto 1911, How?

theclimber

I am interested in purchasing an Optima 2000 and mounting it on my S&W 945 (1911 derivative). My S&W 945 has a recessed mounted Wilson Combat adjustable target sight (I think it's the same as a BoMar?)

Can an Optima 2000 be mounted without machining the slide?

I understand several gunsmiths/manufacturers make optima mounts that may be better than the Tasco ones, any advice here?

Who has good prices on the Optima 2000?

Thanks

TC

Optima 2000

It has a built in Weaver mount. By the way, have you seen the Hakko reflex sight? They are really nice, and guarenteed for life. They're waterproof, shockproof, and it has a selector switch that allows you to choose from 4 different reticles without losing zero. They also have an integral weaver mount. They are $210.00. I can email you a picture of one, if you'd like to see it. Thanks!

Nothing like having somebody trying to sell something on a forum like this, and the seller not having a clue what the question is. If you'd answer his question, he might buy the Optima from you.

Really? Well, I guess that would be between him and I at this point, wouldn't it? Maybe I didn't quite understand his question. Does that give you the right to interject a smart a** response to a thread between him and me? Nothing like being new to a forum, and having a "know-it-all" try to insult you for offering a good price to someone. Sorry about this Climber. Please email me direct, and I'll try to answer your questions between us without obvious troublemakers throwing in their 2 uninvited cents. Geez!

D-Ray, thanks for the good price, I will keep it in mind.
But my primary question Is about mounting options, ssssoooooooo...

BTTT

TC

If Tasco makes seperate "mounts" strictly for the Optima, I haven't seen one. There may be some type of mount that replaces the rear sight, and adds a weaver rail to the top of the weapon. I am not terribly familiar with the S&W gun that you are going to use this on. Hopefully someone that know more about these guns and mount options will read this and know more about it. Most of my mount knowledge is with the AR15 type rifles. The advertisements for Optima show it mounted on a pistol without any type of rails, etc. to allow the sight to mount. I'm going to make a call or two tomorrow and see if I can get you some more info. Thanks!

the trouble is, my rear sight is not dovetailed into the slide, there is no dovetail at all. It is recessed to make the sight low profile, and mounted with some screws, I assume.

I've been to tasco's site and they have no details on any of the different mounts they make.

I just did a search online to find a picture of my 945, but all the pictures I found are the older 945s which do have a dovetail cut, but mine definitely doesn't.

TC

I do apologize for the tone of my reply. As you see, you weren't anwering his question. (BTW,shouldn't that be "between him and me?")

Brownell's sells several bases for the Optima sight. I'd call Brownell's and ask to speak with one of their tech reps. They're great in dealing with problems like this. (Or, you might try calling Tasco.)

I also apologize for my razor tongued response. I had just gotten off of 3rd shift on a very busy night, and should have relaxed a bit more before responding. I guess it just set me off reading it. Yes, my grammar sucks. English was not my thing in school. We'll just let bygones be bygones on this one. Fair? Thanks.

theclimer
If it's the same Wilson sight I have on my IPSC gun it's a good sight, but after the slide is cut for that sight you are limited to what you can do. Two things you can do have the slide welded up and have a dove tail cut in it and use a dove tail adapter or machine the slide to have one of Arredondo adapter or some other brand fitted to it. Some of the people in are club use the Arredondo adapter and they like it a lot. look here and see what you think of this adapter. http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/

I finally got some digital pictures taken.

Notice how there is no dovetail cut in the frame, but the wilson adj. sight is partially recessed.
View

here's more:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1495326&a=11278648

Any more ideas?

thanks

TC

Back