mounting a scope on ruger .22 22/45

Status
Not open for further replies.

hologon

I just bought a Ruger 22/45 P-512 blue (lowest end) with the adjustable sights.

Is there any way to mount a scope on it? (I don't think there are any mounting holes on it...)

I was at my local Sports Authority and I saw they have a nice cheap $25 Bushnell 3-7x scope which would make it quite a different experience altogether! But it looks like a very standard looking scope mount, of which there is no corresponding hardware on the barrel of my Ruger.

Any tips?

Thanks!

-Jon

hologon - Yes a scope can be mounted on your Ruger without much problem. There are several mfgs that make scope mounts such as Weaver, B-Square, etc. I got mine from Jack Weigand and am very satisfied with it. ( www.jackweigand.com )

The one tip I would give you is to have your local friendly gunsmith mount the base and scope for you unless you have good machining skills and tools. I can tell you from personal experience, drilling and tapping on top of a round receiver is not easy without the right tools and jigs. I went through several tap extractors before I was finished. I don't think I'll do it again.

One final note is on the scope choice. I'm not sure if a $25 variable will stand up to even a 22. Not because of recoil, just from general banging around. I would choose a low power non-variable or a red-dot, this is opinion only. Go for what works best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back