Mountain Gun?

hjm

I read a post below about a S&W Mountain gun. That is one good looking revolver!

Can anyone give me a description or some information about that type of gun? Does S&W still make that model? What are the pro's and con's about it? What caliber is a happy medium for that model? Why is it called a "Mountain gun"?

I would love to get one, I just need more information.

Any replies are greatly appreciated?

hjm

I'm a boycotter but still follow Smith and Wesson's product line. I recommend against buying them until the new ownership denounces the commie agreements that the former management entered into. That said, I'll describe the Mountain Gun series....

The revolver is called a Mountain Gun because of the tapered 4" barrel. This was intended to be packed in the woods and on the trail, hence the name. The only con (that I know of) is the sellout company that makes it. The Mountain Gun is not a catalogued item. It is made in runs for Lew Horton and other distributors. They make so many in .45 Colt, then take a break and stamp out some in .357 Magnum (which are seven-shooters, btw). Then take a break and so on.

These guns are built on the awesome N-frame. They'll last longer than you will. I really want one too, but will only buy a pre-sellout gun. Unfortunately, those are impossible to find.

Callahan

You want a pre-agreement MG?

There are several on http://www.gunsamerica.com/

AFAIK, the only post-agreement MGs are a run of 625 .45 ACP and a run of 625 .45 Colt. There were some 625 .45 ACPs the aforementioned first run that were made before the agreement. These guns have the frame-mounted hammer as opposed to the hammer-mounted firing pins on the earlier guns.

The MG, as described above, has the Model 624 type tapered barrel, which distinguishes it from the other models in the lineup. In addition to the two .45s mentioned previously, there have been MG N-frame versions of the 629 .44 Mag, 657 .41 Mag and the 586 .357 Mag (a 7-shot L-fame version).

IMHO, the MG is the best packing woods handgun available in whatever caliber you choose. Believe me, that tapered barrel makes a whale of a difference in weight over a day of carrying while humping the trail. Get yourself one ... you won't regret it.

Aww, buy a Ruger Redhawk and forget the commie traitors.
The MG's recoil more too. Might not matter if you arent going to shoot it alot.

Thanks for the info Reb! May just pick up one chambered in .45ACP. That would go real good with my new Dillon as I can only load for that cartridge now (unless I use my old single-stage, and FORGET THAT). I'll give GunsAmerica a looksee.

Callahan

I've got a MG in .41 Mag.:D

If you are using one load I suggest you do like I did and instal a
Cylinder & Slide extreme fixed sight. This replaces the the rear adjustable sight with one that is very strong. The recoil is not noticeably more than my md. 58. I also have a Redhawk. The MG is much more comptforatble to carry.

Cheers,

ts

There was a run of post-agreement .44 Mag MGs about a year ago. A local dealer had one and I called to find out when it was produced. It was a 629-5 with the laser-etched "rollmarks." (What do we call these things now, anyway, since they certainly aren't put on with a die? :) )

A good friend of mine has the S&W MG 7 shot in .357 mag. Actually I have been trying to get him to sell it to me ever since.. Man that is one sweet shootin revolver :)
Plus I like the idea of 7 shots instead of 6. ;)

in .44MAG

Although I don't have the stats to back it up, I would guess that there have been at least 3 to 4,000 Mtns. in .44MAG produced. They have been in
semi-production since the late '80s. The .44 allows you to shoot SPLs as well. You mentioned that you reload .45ACP so that would be the way to go. DON'T get sidetracked with the 625. They are fine guns indeed but the MG only weighs 39oz. and is much more flexable. Best....dewey

Back