mountain gun decision?

bullfrog99

i am in the market for a used smith mountain gun, but i was wondering which caliber to go with, 45 colt or 44 mag. I already have a carbine in 45 colt to go with a 45 cal sixgun, but i am wondering what i'll be giving up if i go with the lighter caliber(yes i know the 45 colt can be 'loaded' up to 44 magnum power, but i don't trust it in an N framed smith, i'de stick to a ruger if i wanted the power) i figure the most i will upload the colt to is about what cor-bon loads their 300 grain loads for, basically ruger recomendations in the speer #12 manual about 24000 cup. but is this a stupid concept, all so that my handgun matches my rifle? what's your imput.

If you plan on using the Mtn. for fun,ie-shoot it quite often, then I would lean towards the .45Colt. Indeed, if you already load for your carbine it seems to make sense.
...HOWEVER, if you plan on taking on a large tuff-skinned critter then the .44MAG would be the way to go.

The stoutest Mtn. I've had was a .41MAG and as they weigh
only 39oz. it was not fun to shoot. I can only assume that the .44 would even be worse. I bet if you get the .45Colt after a while you'll find yourself even downloading it to
put some 'fun' in your fun.

Right now, I'm stuck on .45ACP revos (S&W) and .41MAGS,
M57 and M58s. The extra 5/6oz.in the M57/58s makes a world of difference
....good luck....dewey

While it's nice to match the calibers, I think that .44 Magnum ammo is much more readily available than .45 Colt (ie, from Wal-Mart, etc.). Not sure if this is a deciding factor, but definately something to consider.

Either is ok if you reload. I shoot the 44 Mountian gun regularly with 44 Special loads. This has been one of the most fun revolvers I own. If you get the 44 I do recommend the 44 Special loads for general use due to the recoil on the full 44 loads.

I mave the .41 mag MG to go with my Marlin rifle. It works if you reload. But, the guys make a good point about the .44 also. There is a lot more .45 ammo now because of the cowboy shooters.
Enjoy!

Back