Mountain Bike Carry

Winston

Does anyone have any good ideas or experience on carrying a

Marlin Guide gun on a mountain bike. (No fancy riding). I'm thinking some sort of attachment to a Camel Back rig .. (Just
thinking out loud. Would like fast access....

Also, what are your thoughts on carry for a .44mg 4" in the
same scenario.

Thanks.....

When I was a kid I had an old military scabbard across my handlebars for my .22. Any other arrangement always seemed like something was in the way of something else. Back then of course, we didn't have these little, funny squinched-up handlebars. :)

Pistol? Some sort of day-glo fanny-pouch that doesn't look like there's a gun in it.

Art

Winston,

If you are planning on doing this at night I would definitely avoid the rifle. I used to race the NORBA circuit including some of the 24 hour races (Canaan, WV, Moab) so I did a lot of riding at night for training. Riding at night isn't at all like riding in daylight.(duh!) During the day you can usually tone down your riding so as to avoid falls if you need to. At night you some times crash seemingly for no reason at all. Even with the best lighting systems like Nightrider or Turbocat twin-light systems AND a helmet mounted light as well you just don't see everything you do during the day. Shadows do funny things to your perception of the trails and you have almost zero periphery.

A fall would certainly do bad things to your Guide Gun. If this is for protection from cougars, don't bother. If you were being stalked by one of them at night, you'd never know it. They would probably only attack you if they are EXTREMELY hungry and if you are alone. You would never have a chance of getting your GG into action.

Carrying the revolver in a fanny-pack style holster makes a lot of sense for human predators. I've known guys who've been robbed of their expensive bikes while out on training rides. There was a well publicized mugging a few years ago where a group of teens robbed a woman in her twenties while she was out for a ride on her new mountain bike. They beat her pretty bad and stole her bike which was worth about $1200. She was in a coma for several days and the muggers were never caught. This happened during the day. Do not ride alone at night!

Just my two pennies worth, Patrick

I'd suggest leaving the rifle behind. I know you said no fancy riding, but any fall with a rifle strapped to your back can cause you some serious injury (not too good for the rifle either). When you hit the ground, it's gonna be you, a chunk of steel and wood, and rocks all getting smushed together. Only one of those is gonna give.

For the handgun, I'd go with a well padded fanny pack. Access is quick enough for your purposes and it's mostly out of the way. I used to ride with my officer's model that way. If concealment isn't an issue go ahead and check out some of the Uncle Mike's shoulder holsters. I use one backpacking and it's comfortable enough.

Diddo what Patrick said about night riding, but it doesn't sound like you'll be doing much of that.

http://www.mountainbikemilitia.com/gungolf.html
gun_rack.jpg

Back