Most powerful sub $700 gun?

sbaker10

What is the most powerful caliber available in a gun that costs less than 700?

I can imagine possibly a shotgun with slugs a 45-70 or a 300 win mag.

Asking half out of curiousity half out of wanting a cannon.

There are several magnums on GB with buy it now prices of $700 or less including a 338WM, 300 Weatherby's, WM, 7mm mag, and a surprisingly nice Belgian FN browning in 300WM

Possibly a Savage 212 with some good Sabot rounds.. or for that price you could get into a decent muzzleloader :)

Another that comes to mind is a Remington 700 SPS in .300 Win Mag, Bass Pro was selling one with a scope already mounted for under $600 I don't know how long the scope would last at that price point though.

Maybe a Howa or Savage chambered for 375 Ruger.
There might be a Zestava 458 mag around somewhere.

Weatherby Vanguard, 300WBY, accurate, solid, easily under $700, and will beat the snot out of you at the bench. More retained energy at 300 yds than 308 at the muzzle.

I gave mine to my son, I was running out of snot.

Contender or encore in 375 Jdj is a fun thumper. A lot of people don't appreciate the variety and ease of changing calibers with the Tc's . Plus you can order almost any caliber for the encore and switch between pistol and rifle barrels easily. Most are right around 700 or lower and barrels run 200-350 for customs.

Both Savage and Howa offer sub $700 rifles in .375 Ruger. If you look around you can sometimes pick up an old Mark X Mauser in .458 Win Mag for around $700.

Last edited:
IIRC, my buddy payed like $400 for his 300RUM. It's a rem700, blind magazine, Tupperware stock, 24" sporter barrel (the contour smaller than the varmint barrels). It has a little kick ;)

A used large shank Savage and a custom "pre-fit" barrel would be the best bet. You could get just about any cartridge you'd like.

Otherwise, I'm guessing that something in .338 Ultra Mag or along those lines would be about it.

It's sort of an open ended question. It's pretty impossible to say "This is it!" and no one can find/make/get one more powerful.

My buddy picked up a Ruger No. 1 in .375 H&H for around $600. It was used but honestly I'm not sure it was ever shot.

I picked a No. 1 in 45-70 for about the same price. In a No. 1, 45-70 can be loaded really hot and give you all the thump you want from mild to wild.

If you take your time and look, you can find whatever tickles your fancy at a fair price.

Back