Most Potent round for 25-06

khaines0625

I am looking to load a round for my 25-06(with a 1 in 10" twist) that is competently able to take down deer, elk and black bear. I don't expect to be shooting more than 300 yards, and certainly won't shoot over 400 yards.

I know many will say that 25-06 is insufficient or not ideal for elk. Let's pretend you MUST use 25-06.

I understand that this is subjective and probably has more than one answer. I'm just looking for suggestions. I am looking at 100 gr Barnes ttsx or 110gr Nosler Accubond. Thoughts?

What altitude will you be elk hunting? I hunted deer for years with a 25-06. The deadliest round I found was the 110 gr Accubond loaded over Retumbo. The velocities (as measured by a Shooting Chrony) pretty well duplicated the load data from Nosler. Accuracy was great, results were awesome. I never used it to shoot an elk. The Colorado division of Wildlife recommends a minimum of 1500 ft. Lbs terminal energy. If you hunt at high altitude the drag on the bullet is reduced, just saying. A coworker of mine harvested several elk with a 25-06. He hunted in the Colorado mountains above 8000 ft. (Hunker down for an onslaught of advice to get a 338 caliber thunder boomer, because lesser cartridges just bounce off an elk. :D )

The altitude will be around 5500-6500. Good to know on the accubond / retumbo combo.

I've heard of the 1500ft lbs of energy rule. I question it because it doesn't account for penetration or how much tear has been done to tissue.

I've heard of the 1500ft lbs of energy rule.

This is a game department rule, with very little connection to reality. IT is intended to be a standard that can be used to exclude rounds they feel are not adequate in the hands of the mythical average hunter at average ranges etc.

Reality is that lots of rounds with lots less paper energy will humanely take elk under the right circumstances.

Also consider this, if you get a 100gr bullet up to about 3000fps velocity, you are looking at about 2000fpe, well over the 1500fpe "limit.

Where you hit the elk, and bullet construction matter much more than a hand full of fps or fpe.

I once talked to an old boy who had just taken his 6th elk, with a .243!!!
He considered it the perfect elk rifle, and for what he did, it was. Deep timber, 90yds or usually much less range. and he only took neck shots. This is quite different from trying to drop one at "across the canyon" ranges.

I would suggest using 100+ grain bullet, and being sure it is built to be a controlled expansion big game bullet and NOT a fast opening varmint bullet.

Avoid shooting through heavy bone, if possible, and be enough of a sportsman to let the elk walk away if you can't get a good shot within the limits of your equipment and personal shooting skill.

I would not advocate the .25-06 as the best choice for big game, but used right, with the right bullets, it will certainly do the job properly.

Some of us got on a quarter bore tear awhile back, and 25-06 is about the only one I don't have. But I can bracket your round with 257 Roberts and 257 Weatherby. I'll have to find my notes, but if I recall, the 110 Accubond did not shoot well in the Roberts. But that's my rifle. In other rounds, Accubonds have performed well. I am working with Barnes' 100 TTSX and LRX in both rifles, and they group very nicely. It looks to be my go to in the Roberts, secondary in the Weatherby. Number 1 in that laser is Nosler's 120 Partition. You can buy 115s as well. They don't have the BC, but I don't think that will matter at your range limits.

The main thing in shooting small bore at big game is to have something that won't come apart at close range while maintaining sufficient velocity at max. My ballistic program says the TTSX maintains >2,000 fps out to 470 yards out of the Roberts. Good luck.

I have hunted with a 25-06 since back around 1989. When I started the journey I went with the 100gr bullets and after two seasons of hunting deer I switched over to the 115gr Partition. My rifle is a stock off the shelf Rem 700 BDL. With RL-22 I gave up a little velocity, but gained much more performance.

While the 100's will get some good speed, they lacked in weight and just didn't have the results I wanted. Yes I used the Barnes as well, they shot good just didn't hit like the Partition does.

That said, within 250yds or therabouts,, I personally would not hesitate to put one through the vitals of an elk. I would still steer clear of direct shoulder shots which could impact the heavy bone but slipped in just behind, they will do the job. Depending on your barrel length, somewhere between 2900 and 3100fpa should be attainable with several different powders.

Just make your shot count and don't push the yardage and you should be fine.

I wouldn't choose a 25-06 for game larger than deer. But if a 25-06 is the rifle I had I wouldn't pass up a chance to hunt elk or bear with it. Proper shot placement and penetration are what really matters.

When using cartridges that are borderline acceptable for the game hunted that is where the premium bullets become a factor. Just about any cheap 165-180 gr 30 caliber bullet will give you the penetration you need at 300 yards. But with a 25 caliber I'd look at the heavier options in a Nosler Partition or Accubond. The solid copper bullets are another option.

An ounce of pretention is worth a pound of manure. My minimum elk cartridge is a 280 Remington throwing a 154 Interbond at 2900fps.

Know the inner anatomy of your elk.
Don't ask the .25 to punch through bone bigger than a rib.
Be willing to let the biggest bull you have ever seen walk if you don't have the right shot.

At 250 yds or so,it shouldn't be a problem for s decent shot to hit a prairie dog.
If you can do that,you can place a shot well enough to take an elk IF you where the organs are inside the elk.

All that said,don't shoot far enough that BC is a big deal. the 110 Accubond will likely work but so will a 120 gr Partition.I have not used copper bullets but they may work well.

I've been hunting with my 257 Ackley for decades.If I had to, I'd use it on elk without hesitation....but, I have other choices...like a good old 30-06.

So I have to say i have not shot an elk with my .257.

Know and allow for the limitations. Do your part,it will work.

Back