Most Common Pistol In IDPA Shoots ???

Yeah, I kind of sense from many of the members of my shooting club that the Glock tends to be the favorite 90% of the time. Some of the more seasoned folks shoot with the 1911s. I was wondering if this was just an Ohio-thing:-) But apparantly not.

Thanks for the feedback.

Glocks I would say dominate local matches because of the popularity and wide selection of models and a half-dozen different calibers to choose from.

Coming in second would be any flavor of 1911s, after that probably Sigs.
XDs are starting to appear but not like they would if not for the rediculous crap of them ESP rather than being classified in SSP - the same as a Glock.

I do have to rant here a bit. If a Glock 34 is considered a "service" pistol then why isn't a 4" XD the same? At least the XD is actually considered a service pistol. Even Glock calls the 34 a "tactical" or "competition" model.

Northern Virginia Glocks, 1911's, S&W

SSP- mostly Glocks, a couple of Sigs and Berettas, CDP mostly 1911 versions, ESP- Glocks, some 1911's, revolvers are mostly various models of S&W .357
jim

Looks like an even split 1911 to Glocks

Depends on the day, I currently shoot a 1911 but am buying a 9mm XD or Glock for when I'm too lazy to load .45's for a match.
I agree with the XD-> ESP, Glock->SSP issue but I shoot more than just IDPA so I'm leaning towards the XD.
I've seen; rugers, BHP's, revolvers, a sig or two but most matches usually boild down to 1911 or Glock with the Wilmington matches leaning slightly towards the 1911 just more people shooting CDP class.

Mostly Glocks, then 1911's. At a few of the sanctioned matches I have been seeing more and more XD's. If I were to go back to the plastic gun, I would go XD- I like the feel of it.

I agree on the XD over the GLOCK for feel. I shoot my XD9 or Kimber 1911 Custom depends if I feel like a 9 or a 45. Love the XD though feel & firing, don't care for the glocks after firing them one after the other. The Glock is a Glock, the XD is the combo of the GLOCK frame with better feel and newer design technology and the sights from Sig. The best of 2 worlds, kinda a 2 in 1 package. Ok, all of you who love the Glock don't start the flaming. As I said the "best" of both worlds, the Glock was the shiznit until it had the compitition from the XD series. In all I prefer my Kimber over either, a tack driver everytime. Gotta love the 1911!

I do have to rant here a bit. If a Glock 34 is considered a "service" pistol then why isn't a 4" XD the same? At least the XD is actually considered a service pistol. Even Glock calls the 34 a "tactical" or "competition" model.

It has to do with the way the trigger systems work on each gun...

On the Glocks, the striker is only partially reset by the recoil action of the slide. The striker is moved the remaining distance reward when the trigger is pulled to the rear to fire the gun.

The XD is SA because the striker is reset it's rear most position by the recoil action of the slide. The trigger does not move the striker to the rear when it is pulled. All the trigger does is release the striker.

I know, it's "picking nits" as my grandma used to say, but at least there is a reason for the XD being in ESP.

Oh, as for which pistol is most popular in IDPA, locally, we have a good mix with the most common being Glocks and 1911's.

I've run to SC state matches and the Glock was far and away the most used brand.

About that CZ, can it be used for IDPA? I barely know what it means but sounds very interesting by the description, especially since I carry concealed.

EDIT: I should mention it's the 75BD model, DA/SA.

Would a Sig P220 be legal for IDPA? I've just recently found out that there's a range locally that hosts IDPA shoots monthly and am thinking about checking it out.

m

P220 is fine for IDPA, I know two local guys who shoot them.
It could enter in Stock Service Pistol vs Glocks or in Enhanced Service Pistol or Custom Defensive Pistol (depending on caliber) vs 1911s.
But don't worry about the small stuff, take your gun, three magazines, ammo, holster, magazine carrier, eye and ear protection, and a concealment garment and GO SHOOTING. All you have to do is pay attention and follow directions. Assuming you know how to operate and shoot your gun, this is competition, not training.

SIG P220ST is legal as IDPA SSP until Jan 2006 than only ESP

My SIG P220ST is legal for SSP until Jan 2006---after that it will be legal for ESP only as it is .80 oz too heavy for CPD. The other models of P220 are legal for all three classes as they are lighter.

With a P220 it is kind of hard to compete against a gun with a 10+1 round mag when all you have is a 8+1 and the time it takes to do more mag changes. But I am going to give it a try!

AZsilver

Back