Most common caliber for Revolver?

KUHIO

Is there any one caliber more common/popular than others when it comes to competing with a revolver?

IDPA split the field into speedloader and moonclip guns, so there is a place for both .38 Special and .45 ACP.
For IPSC/USPSA you are definitely better off with .45 ACP.
ICORE is mostly .38 Special but there are some others set up for the game.

S&W 610 has a small following for IPSC/ICORE.. me being one of them... You can use a 3 7/8" 610 for IDPA but you must use Major loads..

Most people I know in IDPA/USPSA (anecdotal evidence is FUN) shoot a .45 ACP wheelgun loaded with moon clips. I know of one or two guys that have 10mm guns that they run .40 out of, but the most common load out is with .45 ACP stuff.

A couple of friends are big into Steel Challenge, and those guy shoot .38 Specials, since if you have to reload you're hosed anyway.

"...competing with a revolver..." Hi. A lot depends on what competition you're shooting, but like darkgael says, a .38 Special has been the standard bullseye target firearm for eons. 148 grain WC's and 2.5 to 2.8 grains of Bullseye is the standard bullseye .38 target load. High end .32 S&W target pistols have taken over, but you'd be competitive with one. It's great fun too.
NRA bullseye is done with a .45ACP target pistol as well, but .
Competitive shooting has something for everybody.
"...if you have to reload you're hosed anyway..." You've never seen Jerry Miculek shoot, have you? It's like the revolver loads itself. His reloads are so fast you can barely see it happen.

I've seen Jerry reload, it's unreal how fast he is. But if you're shooting a Steel Challenge stage and you have to reload your gun, then you're basically throwing the stage away. IDPA/USPSA are different animals, so reloading is much, much more important there.

Back