Most "carryable" .44 mag?

Dave R

I've been searching the used market for a 3" Smith Model 60 or Ruger SP 101. The intended use is my "fishing gun"...something to take with me to remote streams to protect from 2-legged or 4 legged predators.

There are black bears where I go, so my buddy is trying to talk me into going .44 mag. I'm thinking the additional size/weight of the .44 mag means I couldn't get comfortable carrying it.

The gun needs to be concealable. I don't want to "open carry". (Don't argue, that's my choice.)

Does anyone of moderate stature (5'11', 160 or so) successfully carry a .44? Who makes the most "carryable" .44?

I'll shoot .44 specials most of the time for practice, but carry mags when afield. So I assume I can deal with recoil in a small/light package.

If I go .44, will I be wishin' I'd gone Mod 60/SP101 at the end of a long hike, or after 6 hours in waders? Or is there a concealable model?

For somewhat similiar uses I use a S&W Model 29 "Lew Horton Special" which has a three inch barrel and is quite accurate, but it is loud!

Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum with 4 5/8in barrel. Single Action. Has adjustable sights. Comes in Stainless Steel, and Blue. If the factory grips are too small. Hogue Mono-grips are available for it.

My suggestion would be the S&W Model 629 "Mountain Gun"... Stainless-steel,.44 Magnum, four-inch barrel, 39 ounces unloaded...take THAT, Mr. Black Bear!!!....mikey357

In order of preference, I'd suggest:

1. Lew Horton Special 3" M-629
2. S&W Mountain Gun
3. Ruger Super Blackhawk or Blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel in .44 Remmag or .45 LC.

Don't be a cheapskate on the holster either. A good holster and a good belt can mean the diference between being happy with a .44 and wishing you had you Airweight Chief's Special.

Doc Hudson

The standard 4" 629/29 isn't much heavier than most full size 1911's, though it has more bulk. The Mt gun version of the 629 is the same weight as a full size 1911.

If black bears are the concern a 357 would be fine with the proper bullet. And a 357 would be easier to carry than a 44.

I have a 4" 629 & a 4" Ruger Security Six [357] with Federal Castcore bullets the 357 is much easier to shoot. But I have to admit I like the 44 much better than the 357.

How big are the Black bears in your area? Indestructable five hundred pounders? Or two hundred pound mambi pambi's? Forget the 44 maggie if you want a LIGHTWEIGHT gun. Probably the best power to weight ratio is the Taurus Titanium Tracker in 41 magnum. I think that sucker weighs 19oz. Put it on your hip and forget about it. If you can't do a 4" barrel then Taurus' mod 415 in 41 magnum with a 23/4" barrel at 30oz. There just ain't no 44 maggie that is super lightweight. If you want to move down to 357 maggie then your choices are endless. If it were me (:)) and I was considering a fishin' gun I would carry a Taurus mod 415 in 41 magnum with Federals 250 Hardcast hunting loads. Sounds like a fine fishin', hikin', bashin' around combo to me. Just my thoughts, J. Parker

I often carry my Lew Horton 3" SW .44 magnum in a Desantis high ride holster. After 10 minutes of hiking I don't notice the weight at all. Hint: wearing a good pair of suspenders (like Perry) really helps. When fishing those remote beaver ponds, or hiking off-trail in a wilderness area, there is something comforting about having that .44 on my hip. No expert will say a .357 is adequate.

DaveR; If you're going to practice with a 44 mag do it with the loads you'll be carrying. I'm sure you realize what your getting into when you have a "lightweight" 44 maggie and full power loads. Recoil will be stout to say the least. Maybe a 357 magnum would be something to consider. Pick something YOU will be comfortable with. If you listen to all the "take nothing but a 454 casull for 200 lb Black bears" you're going to end up buying a hand cannon that you hate carrying and hate even more to shoot. Trust me on this one- I've owned a half dozen 44 maggie's with four inch barrels and not a one was FUN to shoot. I stomp around the woods alot in Washington and Oregon and have found "maybe" the "woods" gun for me. A S&W mod 657 41 magnum with a six inch barrel. For me it's controllable and powerful. With a Pachmayr Decelerater grip it's easy to shoot well. If your needs dictate a lightweight revolver you'll just have to compromise. Just my thoughts, J. Parker

.....AND the answer is

Right there all along. The Smith & Wesson .41MAG Mountain Gun......dewey
WANT SOME stopping power ? ? ? Federal 250 Casts at over 1200fps from a 6 incher.

PS- FWIW , I just LOVE to practice with my .41s !

Not trying to flame anyone but two quick points should be mentioned.

First, appealing as the 41 Mag may be as "a compromise" the smaller hole in the barel and cylinders means there is more meat (steel) and consequently more weight in an N-frame 41 than a 44.

Second, when you cut the barrels down in all these "carryable" revolvers you cut down performance but increase muzzle blast. They sure sound like Magnums but the hit more like Specials.

I have carried my Ruger SuperBlackhawk with 7 1/2" barrel extensively and it is not comfortable. It is not even practical to sit down with it. With that in mind I bought a Model 29 4" with a DeSantis holster (then of course I had to get a matching Model 28 4"). It is concealable for the purposes you mention; I am not sure that I could get away with it at the mall unless I was wearing a coat. Then I re-thought my whole strategy and now carry my SP-101 when in the boondocks or carry openly. It has plenty of power for anything I am going to run into, and is small enough to forget about.

A 3" .44 magnum will totally outclass a 6" .44 special, despite what others say. Does a 3" .44 magnum have less performance than a 4", 6", etc.? Of course. But after all, life is full of tradeoffs. I'd guess a 3" .44 magnum will also perform better (on bruin, etc.) than a 6" .357, with two caveats. First, technically I'd assume one would be more accurate with a 6" barrell. Second, one might be quicker with a followup shot with the 6" .357. But there usually won't be time...

Back