Most accurate "snubbie"

Blue Duck357

I know the little guns are not designed for match accuracy, but wonder if anyone had opinions on how Ruger 101's and SW J versus K frames in 2" to 3" barrels stack up accuracy wise?

I can consistently get sub-3" groups from the J-frame .38s I've had. Sometimes less, from a rested position.:) I really think the guns are more than capable. They are just limited by a short sight radius and the skill of the operator. I can't speak for the Ruger, but I have no reason to suspect it isn't equally as capable.

I have used a few J frame 36s in 2 and 3 inch bbls. 2½" 686, 2½" 19, 3"696. All were good for empty shotshells at ten yards or center of mass at 50 yards.

With the little ones it takes more practice to learn to rapidly get proper sight picture.

Practice is fun. And good for your health.

Sam

FWIW, I prefer the 3" as giving a better sight radius and more accuracy. A square butt or custom grip is recommended. There is little difference in concealability. A Model 36 with the 3" heavy barrel, square butt, and 1/8 sights is good, but they are not common. Better yet would be a Centennial with a 3" barrel, but they never made a HB version.

Jim

just my own opinion. All of them are accurate, although sometimes hard for the shooter to get that accuracy. But the K frame snubbies I've used all come from the factory with better triggers than the J frames or Rugers (in my experience). Plus one more round. Trade off is that the cylinder and frame are a bit bigger too though. But then I use a five inch N frame for ccw. :D

I've had pretty good luck with a 2 1/8 SP101 DAO, especially with 110gr Win bullets (which shoot a mite low) and 9.0 Unique in a mag case. DA rested it gives about 1.5" at 50 ft., which suprised me greatly. I did install a spring kit in it and smoothed it out some because the factory pull was horrendous. I've got a tuned up 2.5" 686 and this Ruger can go toe to toe with it shot SA. I had a 36 many years ago and never did learn to shoot it well but it was more my problem than the gun.

Bob C........you beat me by an inch. :) I have been known to carry a 4" 29 in pocket holster.

Sam......bang is good...BANG is more gooder.

If you consider it snubbie, I would be inclined to go with a Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel.

My 2 1/4" sp101 DAO will consistently put a 5 shot group at 7 yds. that I can cover with a quarter. This is from a weaver stance, slow fire. Although they are about 1/2" below the point of aim with 357 loads.(I'm told it's because they use the same front sight for the 38 spec. Seems to be true, the few 38 loads seem to be right on.)
No trigger job, right out of the box.

I have shot at 100 yds. for fun, I managed a group under 3" from a pistol rest.

Is a J frame accurate? Yes. Can I shoot it well? No. Can I keep it on a torso out to 20 yards? Yes.

"How accurate is that?" "As accurate as I am."--Jeff Cooper's reply to an African professional hunter.

C.R. Sam, bang is good. BANG is better. and two extra bangs don't hurt anything either :D

On the snubbies though. I once, on a dare, shot a match using my wife's 2 inch M&P. Was slow fire, and shot SA but still using fixed sights and a two inch tube on a K frame .38. Finished fourth. And in that group usually finished third or fourth anyway using my normal target revolvers (older Python - 61, or six inch M29 with target loads). Groups weren't quite as tight as the longer guns, but well within the nine ring.

Back