Most accurate rifle under $600???

Floyd2U

I'm looking for a new bolt-action rifle under $600. What's the most accurate one out there? I want to stick with a .308 or .30-'06.

Floyd,
I have heard good things about Savage's 110 FP. I haven't shot one but it is supposed to be a good rifle at an attractive price.

Brandon

The Ruger M-77 VT (varmint-target)would be a good choice if you don't mind a little weight (close to 9 lbs).

I have one in .243 and I have friends with a .223 and a .308...all are sub half-MOA rifles out of the box, to at least 300 yards with good factory ammo and half that with custom handloads. They have full floated heavy stainless barrel, laminated target stock with wide beavertail forend, two stage target trigger and come with Ruger integral scope rings. Just add scope and go to work. The friend with the .308 is really pleased with his. Bowling pins at 350 to 400 yards are little more than boring. We'll have to find a place that offers more range. My best groups so far are a couple of half inch five shot clusters at 200 yards with Winchester factory loads. One and a half inches at 300 is the best so far with the same load.

Probably not much difference between Ruger, Rem, Win, Savage. Other threads in this forum speak to accurizing, if out-of-the-box isn't up to expectations.

If you don't handload, the .308 is probably the more accurate of the two. If you roll your own, you can always get some 200 ft/sec more out of an '06 than the .308. I know that I'm quite happy with 1/2 MOA from my '06, even after almost 30 years and over 4,000 rounds...(Small ad for Copper Solvent)

Hope this helps.

Somebody else might know: Of under-$600 rifles, which has either the crispest-break trigger, or the most easily-adjusted trigger?

I vaguely recall some thread with a favorable comment about the Rem 700, as to trigger adjustment.

I like the Ruger VT trigger. Its very easy to tune. Its also one of the very few that can be set to very fine conditions and still be very safe. Take care, have fun, Roger_Dailey@hotmail.com

Guess I'll end up spending a bit more than $600. But thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to find a gun shop with all the guns present.

Hey guys, guess I'll be the bad guy again. Just a small amount of research will tell ya that a Ruger has NEVER won a bench match. Why, ya ask? Simply put, it's pot metal, a casting just like grandmas frying pan. What wins at bench matches? Custom Remingtons, forged steel has a more consistant harmonic than cast metal. Ruger does build a fair pistol in SAA and the Redhawk. The only rifle I would recommend from Ruger is the 77-22 series and the 10-22. AFFA

------------------

AFFA

Well, Old Biker, it's some of the best "pot metal" out there for under $600. I would imagine that $600 would just barely buy the stock on one of those bench guns. No doubt about it, Remington rules the roost in the custom gun market with their action, but it's almost always rebarreled. Like Art Eatman said, there's not much difference between the major manufacturers in the given price bracket but when you look at a total package (good trigger, good accuracy, ergonomics, integral scope mounts, factory "custom" features) Ruger is a top contender.

There is a nice review on the Savage and the Remington 700's at www.snipercountry.com I have had both and was very pleased with both but for out of box accuracy its hard to beat the Savage. From reading, lots of military snipers think highly of them.

In an incredible deal at Wal-Mart, I got a Win. Model 70 Classic SM (Pre '64 style action, synthetic stock, BOSS, 7mm mag.) new in box for $359. Right now it shoots 3/4 inch at 100 yds., and I haven't moved the BOSS from its original setting. A little tinkering should get it under 1/2 moa.

While you are not likely to find a similar deal, this rifle can be had for around $500. Wal-Mart periodically has Win., Savage, and Remington at incredible prices.

Good luck!!

I'm not sure but I think Rob might still have his Ruger M-77 .25-06 for sell, you might want to check with him. I've heard the M-77 is a pretty good rifle don't have any personal exp. with it.

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

Taxphd your right about those great deal at Wal Mart, I bought a stainless Ruger 10/22 with synthetic stock for around $150 a couple of weeks back. I looked in their gun case while I was their and saw a couple of stainless/synthetic stocked 700's for under $400! If I thought my wife wouldn't have kicked my butt I would have bought one. (She gets creeped out when I start into a gun buying phase.)

The salesman said that Wal Mart will beat anybody's price they just have to call and verify it (they work volume deals with manufacturers.) Also said that if you wanted to order a gun that they don't cary in stock they will do it for no FFL fee like the gun stores do when you order out of Shotgun News. I'd like to know if anyone has ever done that through Wal Mart.

Old Biker - Where are you seeing bench rest matches won with Remingtons? I have some Remingtons and would like to win some matches. All I've seen in the winners lists are custom actions (Stolle, Hart, etc). Thanks, take care, have fun.... Roger_Dailey@hotmail.com

try a rem 700 varmit syn ss its about 500 bucks and if your not into a light mountion or huinting rivfle its hard to beat. if your into light guns try the savage 110 cnat go wrong the ruggers are good but the gun looks like it was made by a blind lady with a hachet once you open it up. the machine work inside is sub par...

The local legend around here that has won a few matches, even at Camp Perry was ready to buy a certain Ruger M77 VT. When he witnessed the groups it cut,he offered to buy it. Heck he was even more surprised with the one inch groups my M77 VT .308 cut at 200 yards out of the box and offered to buy it. You know I hate research but I love to see tight groups especially when an old pot metal rifle that cost under $600 cuts them. Hey the guy said best for under $600 did some people miss that point? By the way that pot metal in .25-06 and .22-250 like 20 once coke bottles at 300 and 450 yards. But you know i even would like a german shepard if it will point birds and hold them.

Well....
I was going to say the same thing
everyone else was saying.. Remington, Ruger
Savage, and so on. Then I started to think.
"It's not accurate without a good scope"
So... when you add a 300 dollar Leupold
into the equation.. well.. I'm not sure
you can do it for under $600.
Patrick Graham

Well, as for scopes - shall I commit sacrilege and say that you CAN scope one of these bargain priced tack drivers and still get 1/2 minute groups out to 300 yards with good factory ammo? YES, I SHALL say the word - TASCO! The rifles Mr. Glover mentioned are mine (in .243) and his (in .22-250 and .308) topped with Tasco 4x16 and 6x24 World Class AO scopes, respectively!

I bought my first Ruger and first Tasco at the same time due to cost (over 25 years ago) and have been waiting for ANY combo under $1000 (and sometimes more) to show me a reason to switch. I ain't seen it yet! The groups mentioned in Dennis' post are average. The .243 has fired more than one 1/2" five shot group at 200 yards with Winchester Super-X 80 grainers. The "local hero" he mentioned in his post is a Master class competitor in 1000 yard rifle and the Ruger combos mentioned were shooting with (or better) than his custom 1000 yard rifle when he made the buy offers (on separate days).

If you're gonna shoot a pot metal rifle - might as well put a pot metal scope on it.

Footnote: I would love to have a Leupold on my rifles, but I just can't make myself do it...

Back