Most Accurate Non-Target .45

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLT

What is the most intrinsically accurate .45 which is designed for more general usage (i.e., that is not designed primarily as a target pistol, such as, e.g., the P220 Sport)? I realize that practical accuracy cannot be separated from the person shooting the pistol (which brings personal preferences, etc. into the mix), but are there any studies/opinions out there on a pistol's out-of-the-box instrinsic accuracy?

Thanks in advance.

My most accurate 45 "out of the box" was a used colt 1917 army model in 45 acp. (it is a WW1 production gun.. carried a lot but not fired much, I got lucky ;) )In most auto-loaders the barrel moves in and out of battery and does not precisely align back to the exact same spot.. guide rods make them better but essentially parts keep moving, keep wearing. In revolvers your barrel and sights are rigid.. you SHOULD see better accuracy from a revolver. (i expect a LOT of comments on this one) Smith and wesson made a model 25-5 in .45acp... and you should still be able to find them around.

I have heard A LOT of people parise the NORINCO 1911's that were available as a FANTASTIC out of the box shooter in 45. at a reasonable price.. but norinco 1911's are SCARE these days.

Fit and finish on the Sigs is amazing.. and while my only experience is with a P-226.. accuracy was NOT a problem. (I think you get what you pay for with sig)

Stay safe,

Dr.Rob

My Sig P220 is wonderfully accurate! The only other .45 that I've done a side by side comparison to was a friends Springfield Target pistol. I shot my Sig better than the Springfield, and he shot his Springfield slightly better than I shot my Sig. I really think the difference here had more to do with experience (and ammo, the target pistol is picky, Sig eats anything ;)).

If you're looking for a combat/duty pistol with excellent accuracy characteristics, the Sig is sure tough to beat.

I don't understand if you are looking for general models or a specific manufacturer. The 1911 is incredible when done by Rock River Arms or Les Baer. In general I think the H&K P9S is just as accurate and if you get the P9S Target it gives you a trigger stop and adjustable sights.

Jeff OTMG,

Where do I find out more on Rock River Arms? Les Baer has a web page, but my searches for Rock River Arms comes up short.

Thanks, everybody, for your replies.

MLT

Although a little pricey when compared to other 45s, the stock Sig P220 is a hell of an accurate and reliable gun. If you shop around the gun show you should be able to find one for under 7 bills.

Some do not like the DA action, but it never stopped me from thumbing back the hammer when target shooting!

Another point in the Sig's favor- There is a ton of aftermarket parts for 1911's but not alot out there for Sigs..... How can you improve on perfection?

I've had several .45's in the past few years, they are as follows:

Glock M21 - Bore to wrist axis made this gun easy to shoot with. Intrinsic accuracy was very good, practical accuracy was great. Extermely feed and fire reliable. I've had two of these. Five Winchester 230 Black Talon shot sub inch at 25 feet off-hand consistently.

Sig P220 - Great gun. Intrinsic and pratical accuracy both great. More accurate with more loads than the Glock, but a bit harder to control for fast follow up shots. Five Remington 185 Semi-Wadcutters and Federal 230 Hydra Shocks sub inch 25 feet

Kimber Custom Classic - Great gun now. Had to have a smith tune it up. Now it's one of my all time favorites. Intrisic accuracy is decent, but not quite on par with the Sig. Probably equal to the Glock, but I have not found its' favorite load. The Kimber's pratical accuracy great, its easy to shoot well and fast. Five into 1.5 off-hand at 25 feet Winchester 230 FMJ, Speer 230 GD, Speer 185 GD +P, and Federal 230 Hydra Shocks.

H&K USP Tactical - Really new gun to me. So far its' intrinsic accuracy is the best I've had. Practical accuracy is great, even though the grips a little thick and the slide is a little tall. Five shots sub inch with Winchester 230 FMJ, Federal 230 Hydra Shocks.

The .45 ACP is my favorite pistol caliber. I haven't run accross a bad shooter in this loading yet. Good luck with your search.

[This message has been edited by JJCII (edited September 10, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by JJCII (edited September 10, 1999).]

All of the 1911's I've owned have been gussied-up 'target' models, except for the mortar they issued to me in the Service. The most accurate non-target .45 I own is a Ruger SA '200th Year' Convertible. With 200 gr. cast SWC ACP loads it has shot many offhand groups of an inch to an inch and a half at 25 yards, and I fondly preserve a rested 'one-holer' target from that load. The Long Colt cylinder has dropped five 260 grain Keiths into a raggedy 2-3/8ths inch hole at 50 yards, while developing silhouette loads. I've never shot a 1911 that could equal that. slabsides

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

The most accurate non-target gun (and reasonably priced) is not a pistol, but the S&W revolver chambered for the .45ACP. I believe it is a 645 with a 5" bbl. Of course it is big (N frame). But you didn't say it has to be a pistol.

Greetings all. In my collection, it would boil down to my box stock SIG-Sauer P220 or my Kimber Classic Custom. Both are very accurate and I don't know which is most accurate as it's so very difficult to shoot consistently to their level of performance.
Best.

The HK USP .45 is very accurate. The HK USP .45 tactical and expert models are even more accurate. The HK USP .45 Mk23 SOCOM is extremely accurate (List $2045)!

As a Les Baer owner I can only add that my premier II out of the box is the most accurate handgun I have ever seen or shot. Off sandbags at 25 yards with federal match ammo it will usually to about an inch and a half to two inches for a 7 rnd mag, but I think I am most of the spread. Other Baer owners tell me mine is par for the course so I can say mine is not a fluke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back