Mossy 500A, Now What?

nathanrw

So today I'm out and about and I run across a garage sale. I see the guy has various turkey hunting things out so I figure it might be interesting. Well, the only interesting thing he had was a rough Mossberg 500A. I took it down a bit to see how bad it was...and I cant post pics now. So anyway it had a rope for a sling, no choke in the 2 3/4-3 28" VR barrell. It was filthy and had crappy carving on the stock. From the looks of the barrel I didn't see any pits in all the grunge, but I could see the weld marks for the rib. With it being the porch queen that it was I offered the guy have of his asking price and got it for $40. Now I'm stuck with the what am I going to do with it? All my other shotguns are Remingtons and I have no need for a boat or trailer gun. So do I clean it, put a plastic stock on it and sell it or what? What is the value of one of these too? I see it has the polymer trigger group with plenty of scratch and creep in it so did I over pay for $40? Ideas are appreciated and Ill see what I can do about pics.
Thanks

Have fun with it, you would be surprised how nice a beat up gun can be with some fine sand paper and quality spray paint.

No need to ceracote or anything, just buy some high quality engine paint from an auto store. Put on about 3-4 very light coats and it will turn out great. Don't try to just do one or two thick coats, it will run and look awful.If there is pitting you can fill it in with bondo and paint it.

Buy some wood filler, fill in the stock engraving, sand it, and paint it as well.

I have a very beat up winchester that I spray painted and people think its a high end refinesh, when really its just a $8 can of spray paint and a bunch of elbow grease.

I'd fix it up to your liking and use it as a fun gun. If nothing else you will save some wear and tear on your nicer shotguns..you may not have a need for a boat or truck gun but what about another home defense gun??are you married?if so does your wife have a gun for her vehicle..there are tons of things you could do with it..worst case scenario buy a cheap aftermarket stock have some fun with it then turn it over for a profit when your done

Thing is I don't really shoot anymore since I've got four 4yrs to 5 mo. I was leaning towards the tacticool option on it and then sending it on its way. I do like the idea of automotive refinishing, but I think that just new plastic might fix the stock issues. For the reciever and barrel were you talking about painting those too? Thanks for the input.

Use a satin paint, it will match the original (?) finish that was on the gun.

You could look on ebay for a short barrel and choke tubes for your 28 inch. A gun with two barrels would be worth more.

Back