Mossberg88 or Savage 320

The 88 is a Mossberg. Can't go wrong with Mossberg or Remington. You can also get the OpSol shell adapter and use short shells reliably. Increases the 20" 88 to 12+1 :eek:

I thought there had to be some sort of spacer used with the mini shells in order to get reliable cycling even from a pump.

Yes - It's the OpSol Mini shell adapter. It's a hunk of form fitting rubber that fits in the elevator area.

https://opsolmini-clip.com/

It's on its 2nd revision. Well worth the $17. Works really well if you have a Mossberg/Maverick. Too bad they don't have one for the Remmy's.

Looking to buy a cheap combo shotgun. Anyone have either? Likes, dislikes. Thank you

The Maverick 88 is an economy version of he Mossberg 500 series and most parts interchange. As such Maverick enjoys great parts availability, aftermarket accessories and a long standing reputation for reliabilty.

The Maverick 88 is an economy version of he Mossberg 500 series

I’m not sure that’s exactly accurate. I think the 88 is based on another shotgun (possibly the Winchester 1200?). One visible clue to the difference is the location of the safety.

A Maverick 88 is the cheap version of the Mossberg 500. Mossberg just saw an easier option with the drop in trigger assembly with a mounted safety then having to cut another hole for the tang safety.

I'd step up and just buy the 500. Plenty of new and used out there for a good price.

you can find brand new maverick 88s for under $200. if you can find something better for that price go for it, otherwise maverick 88 and don't worry about it.

The Maverick 88 is the budget version of the second most popular shotgun in America. Most parts are interchangeable with the Mossberg 500. Think you'll ever want to try a different stock or barrel?

The Savage 320 is a Chinese Winchester 1300 sort of thing, except not really compatible. The 1300 isn't terribly well regarded, but I'm not aware any issues with the 320. Problem is, I don't think most 320 shooters shoot their shotguns very much. If you ever want a different stock or barrel, you may or may not be able to wheedle one out of Savage.

"...economy version of the Mossberg 500 series and..." An 88 is a Mossberg M500. All parts, especially barrels, are interchangeable. However, if aftermarket stuff matters to you, there isn't a lot available for any Mossberg. Difference in price on a 'Combo' is about $100. The 500 being higher.
The mini shells are not something to worry about when deciding which shotgun to buy.
The Savage 320 is a Stevens brand made in China.

"...economy version of the Mossberg 500 series and..." An 88 is a Mossberg M500. All parts, especially barrels, are interchangeable. However, if aftermarket stuff matters to you, there isn't a lot available for any Mossberg. Difference in price on a 'Combo' is about $100. The 500 being higher.
The mini shells are not something to worry about when deciding which shotgun to buy.
The Savage 320 is a Stevens brand made in China.

Regarding aftermarket products for Mossberg shotguns, just enter
"aftermarket parts for mossberg 500" into your search engine and see what you've been missing!

Back