Mossberg yes Remington NO!

HarryB

Sold my Mossberg 500 at a show recently and feel naked without an HD shotgun in the house. Had been trying to choose between another Mossberg 500/590 and the Remington 870. A con of the 870 are the dimples in the mag tube. That set me thinking:

If Remington deliberately hinders me in LEGALLY raising the capacity of a weapon designed to protect me and my family, then screw 'em! I guess the only choice is I do have is to spend the extra bucks to get the 590 over the 500 or not. Right now the 590 is looking good (ghost ring sights for $400.)

[This message has been edited by HarryB (edited November 21, 1999).]

Or get a good, used 870 without the dimples.

Or get a 3/16th drill bit and drill the dimples out (they're hidden by the barrel retention band anyway).

Even a tool challenged 10 thumbed guy like me can figure out a way to dedimple that 870. You shouldn't let a little thing like that stop you from having the best darn HD/ general purpose ever made.

Get the 870,and your great grandchildren will thank you...

I can do the work--my choice is based on principle. Why should I support Remington since their feel the need to hinder the exercising of my legal rights. Yes they make a good product, but so does Mossberg. And I am looking for a Wichester Camp Defender--8 shot 22" barrel with rifle sights and choke tubes.

Acually, it is possible that Remington put the dimples there for an entirely different reason ... it holds the spring retainer in place more efficiently than their old style compression fit. It would surprise me if they did it just to prevent extended magazine intallations.

Less than 2 minutes with a 3/16 drill? Not much of a deterent.

I wouldn't drop one of the best shotguns on the market for such a minor reason. Just my opinion.

Get the Remington 870 Police model or the Marine Magnum. No dimples.

On the Tactics-l list a gunsmith said that for every one Reminton he saw come in for repairs he would see 10 Mossbergs. Felt that the Remington was tops in reliability. This echoes just about everything else I had heard on reliability.. If you are going to shoot a LOT get a Remington or a Benelli.

Ben

You could spend a fortune for a Mossberg 590, or very little for a plain Jane 870.

I have both and like both. For home defense, it's the 870. Why? Because if I were to shoot anyone in self defense, the cops will confiscate my gun as evidence. Once in the hands of the property clerks, the gun will not be given the loving care and can see some abuse. Better to have a cheaper priced gun than a higher priced gun impounded.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Actually, I found that the Mossberg was cheaper than the 870 almost everywhere I looked. Mossberg 590A1 about $400 and Remington 870 Marine $480

Ben

Go with the gun that served our country since Vietnam (at least?). The Remington 870 can be found in most police cars across the United States and it will stay there for quite some time. Accessories for the 870 are cheap and readily available.

As for the dimples, any gunsmith can take them out in a day or two (depending on how busy he/she is) at a cheap price of $20-30. These prices were quoted from a few local smiths in Southern California.

The Mossberg is a good gun but it doesn't have that combat proven track record. The 870 is built to outlast you and it will do just that.

Have a M590 for 4 years and love it. Better then any 870 i've shot(shot about 5 different ones). And this is a gun that is currently in service with Marines and Navy Seals. The gun also saw some combat during the last 10 years all over the globe. So pick m590(with metal trigger and safety if possible)

During my career with the Md Dept of Public Safety, the 870 was the weapon of choice for all prison work. When I entered in 1977, there were still some Model 97s and 12s, both great pumps, but expensive to machine.

The 870 stood up just as well. Training weapons get shot a lot, I can think of one 870 that went on the line in 1981 and was still pumping out thousands of rounds/yr in 1998 when I retired.Tower weapons get abused, ours stood up well. Other shotguns were tried, oft ordered in by cost conscious administrators,politicians and d*m fools. None stood up like the 870s. There was the Winchester 1200, the S&W 3000,etc.

The Mossberg MAY be a good weapon. IMO, the safety's where one should be. But, the 870 has oneheckuva track record and ANY shotgun would have to show itself superior by beating that record, and I don't see it happening...

I once had a M500 slug gun for home defense, but the PLASTIC safety came apart. I put it back together and found it a new owner.
rem 870 now in its place.

Hi, everyone.

I'm glad to see this thread, because I was just asking about the 870 on an email list. I'm going to need some recomendations on appropriate loads for HD and practice. Here is my original question:

>A friend who has been looking to buy a shotgun for home defense/Y2K was
>visting last night. We were talking about appropriate types of loads, and
>I told him that there had been a thread on the .223 vs. shotgun debate, and
>I figured that some of you on the shotgun side might have a suggestion. The
>gun would need to be handled by several people from 120 lb. women to 200
>lb. men with various amount of gun handling experence and no shotgun
>experience, so he is looking to also find a fairly inexpensive shell for
>practicing with. I've no idea even how much 12-ga. shells cost, so a
>general price range on your suggestions would be good. The gun he is
>getting: http://www.remington.com/Firearms/shotguns/870MRMAG.HTM
=====================

After reading this thread, I think I'll get that same gun myself. If this is old news, please feel free to email me directly instead of answering on the board.
<madstone@madstone.net>

Thanks!

-Moss

------------------
RKBA!
Madstone Press
http://www.madstone.net/
Gun-friendly Web development for small businesses.

One thing to remember about the marine magnum is that you are stuck with the cylinder barrel. The 870 express is not as pretty but has a variety of barrels available from short HD cylinder, to rifled bores to choke tube barrels of various lenghts. The 870 is more versatile and the barrels can be changed quickly should you decide to go hunting.

Geoff Ross

Hello!
I got a Rem 870 HD 8 months ago and have found it to be the toughest shotgun I have ever fired. For the dimples, I took my Dremel and grinded the dimples into nothingness, them buffed that whole area smooth, as to not have the spring catch on anything, which is how my smith would have done it. I put on a 2 shot extender, and it works like a charm. 7+1. Shot my friends Mossberg several times, and it seemed to rattle, even when new. Remington seems tighter and more durable IMHO. Best...mike

Back