Mossberg® mvp™ varmint

TGSTGS

So whats the consensus on this one. So far I have only seen them in 5.56. They have some appeal I have taken a liken to the features.

Bolt-action w/military spec durability •Spiral fluted bolt •Unique “Drop Push” bolt design reliably feeds from AR-15 style magazines •1:9 twist rate •Button-rifled, medium bull barrel w/11-degree tapered crown •Fluted barrel for reduced weight & heat dissipation •Matte blue finish •Grey laminate, pillar bedded, benchrest stock features raised flat comb w/ergonomically designed pistol grip & palm swell •Grip & forend checkering •Wide, flat-bottom forend •LBA™ adjustable, creep-free trigger •Skeletonized lightning bolt trigger blade •Sling swivel studs •Includes integral Weaver-style 2-piece bases, 10-round magazine, gun lock & 2-Year Limited

Has anyone had the opportunity to use this one and what other calipers have been released? Love to see it in .243 or 25-06 or really dreaming in .220 Swift

watching

Got my eye on this rifle too. From what I read they are shooters, and the appeal of the 20 rd box is there as well.

The .308 version as a patrol rifle is out, and will give Ruger and Savage some competion in the Scout rifle market.

I doubt we ever see one in a "long" case like 25-06, as it would require a new action and magazine. A .243 version would be more financially feasible, based on the "short" case, it would not much different than the .308 version.

It would be hard on barrels though.

I'm more of a fan of the savages. Already pre camo'd (scope and gun). Once you mess with charges grains, and primers. My buddy has a sub MOA of .3 at 150 yards. I haven't heard much of these though. Keep us posted.

I have one and love mine. It is very accurate but I bought the one with the medium fluted barrel and target stock. If you are looking for more info and loads that people have had success with then try the mvp forum. Plenty of info avaliable there. I also think someone there has had one re barreled.

I found what I was thinking about. It has been re barreled in 300blk.

http://www.mossbergmvp.com/index.php?threads/315/

Last edited:
I have one in the "varmint" configuration, it is as accurate as any 5.56/223 Rem I have. I am still breaking the barrel in and shows promise to get better..Every .223 Rem. I ever had I sold or traded for something else,just not a useful cartridge for me but I like this gun and concept with B level execution.I have two complaints, 1- they could polish a couple of grits finer and align the barrel in the channel better.

Im liking what Im reading. I guess if they can keep the cost down and do it with things like the polish rather than short changing things like trigger, bedding, and barrel quality it could easier become a keeper.
Im the same about the .223 its feeling like a relic, I know, dadada on that one :p
great feedback it would be a .308. I see it easily worked up to a real depended shooter.

"Love to see it in .243 or 25-06 or really dreaming in .220 Swift "(that's like saying " I'd love to see a Chevy Malibu with a 5th wheel hitch").
Those would hardly fit the "AR15 magazine" design parameter. The ONLY reason I would consider this rifle is the use of that magazine. You want a 243 with a detachable higher cap magazine? Get a HOWA with the DM conversion.

Back