Mossberg Pump Shotgun with detachable magazines

My friend's brother had a Maverick 88 with some sort of kit mounted to to it. It was a 12 gauge, had a detacheable magazine, and the pump grip was different from stock. Might have had some accessory rails on the forend, I can't remember for sure. It functioned reliably, but the mag made it really awkward to operate. It got in the way.

Last edited:
Not old news, brand new for the SHOT Show.

Mossberg's looks better thought out than Remington's. I'm a little surprised they are slacking on the Shockwave version.

I'm not sure of the point of a box-mag pump shotgun, though. Obviously, it's competition with Remington. But could it also be baby steps towards a box-mag 930? Now that would be a lot more interesting.

Not old news, brand new for the SHOT Show.

Mossberg's looks better thought out than Remington's. I'm a little surprised they are slacking on the Shockwave version.

I'm not sure of the point of a box-mag pump shotgun, though. Obviously, it's competition with Remington. But could it also be baby steps towards a box-mag 930? Now that would be a lot more interesting.
I would love a magazine fed Mossberg if it is reliable and the price is ok.

$101 is the starting price for a spare magazine. Nuts.
I've yet to encounter any shotguns with detachable magazines that aren't an arm and a leg. At least that price isn't as bad as the Auto-Assault 12's drum mags are... $400.

All detachable mag shotguns are hokey to me. Nothing beats a tubular magazine for a shotgun. If somebody wants a ton of firepower in a shotguns, get one of the bullpup's with two tube magazines or get the new IWI Taver TS12 with the rotating tube mags. With those you can reload a tube two shells at a time.

I haven't seen what Remington is asking for their mags, probably because I haven't found them for sale yet. The idea does have merit in some situations, not all.

"Way too big and clunky to be of practical use. If I need a magazine I'll stick with an AR"-Rob228

I agree! Plus, from what I've seen in the videos...the Mossberg 590M has no shell elevator, so you can't use the tube on the gun. So, If you loose the mags or can't get to them...you have a single shot pump shotgun!

For some reason I never thought about the tube still needing t be there. Seems odd. I would think they could get the pump to run on the barrel or something. Seems not well though out. Really makes the gun seem foolish to me, although the tube really weighs almost nothing.
I REALLY didn't like my 930, as much as I wanted to, but it will be interesting if they release a mag fed version of 930. I won't be buying, but interesting.

Mag fed shotguns have never really taken off for a good reason. Feed / extract / eject reliability is much traded off for quicker reloading.

I will sell it if I'm given one.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Checking the Mossberg web site, I see that the 590M magazines are still very expensive: 5rd/ $88; 10rd/99; 15rd/$116; 20rd/$126 (the 10, 15, 20 rd mags are all out of stock). Looks like Mossberg hasn't made any significant upgrades to the 590M, nor the magazines.

Back