Mossberg Patriot rifle

Geezerbiker

I've been daydreaming about getting another rifle (like I need one.) I've been looking on line at Mossberg Patriot rifles and they seem like a lot for a low price. Any one here have any direct experience with one?

Also they have an odd looking swell at the muzzle. Any chance that's a place to thread on a muzzle brake?

Tony

I bought one in 375 ruger when it first came out--I thought it was an amazing value--cost me around $475 IIRC but I've never seen a comparably built rifle at that price. Mine is the marinetech laminate rifle model featured in this video. It seems to have disappeared from Mossberg's line-up only after a year or two, not sure why. It is about the limit of what I can tolerate in felt recoil in an extended shooting session.

Last edited:
I was thinking .338 Win mag well since I already have ammo and brass for that caliber but no rifle to shoot them in. I was hoping it already came with a threaded muzzle so I wouldn't have to spend more for that. I don't feel like having a rifle that recoils more than my .30-06...

Tony

My 375 Ruger does not have a muzzle brake--so it gets your attention for sure. My guess the 338 win mag is similar. Significantly more felt recoil than a 30-06, but it's also a lightweight rifle--so there's the trade-off. If you figure you'll only be shooting it once on a hunt (very likely unless you lined up a bad shot) not that noticeable one time. Sitting on a bench testing 25 cartridges for the best harmonics--that's definitely a test of your endurance.:D

Last edited:
I'm not the tough guy I used to act like I was. So a muzzle brake will be a requirement. I've even considered putting one on my Winchester 70 .30-06.

Tony

I'm not a tough guy either--never was, truth be told. Rifles are kinda like women in my experience (hope this isn't a PC violation), each one has a certain way it likes to be held. :D Others have said it and I agree--bigger bore kicking cartridges often have what I call a "fullback shove" hit in recoil as opposed to the fast kick of something like a 300 WBY. My 338 Lapua magnum savage 110 which does have a brake is really quite tame IMO in felt recoil--I'd MUCH rather spend the day shooting it than my 45-70 Henry, which, while very fun, does take a collective toll on my shoulder.

The muzzle in some advertisements does appear to have a thread cap or something (??) similar. The dope from the factory doesn't mention a threaded muzzle. Maybe....its a plastic cap to keep the bore clean during shipping??? A couple of models seem to not have that enlarged thingamajig so who knows? If the muzzle isn't threaded, a clamp on brake from Witt Machine eliminates the cost of threading the muzzle. I have two of them and really like them.

Mossberg makes a solid bolt gun. I am not a fan of how sloppy the bolt cycle feels ( lots of play in the bolt and almost all require a bolt handle upgrade since they are not the most natural feeling ) Accuracy they are in line with other rifles in its price point. I did find my Mossberg was much more picky but once i figured out the load it shot very very well. At the same price I would also look into the other manufacturer's and handle each one to see if any grab your attention.

Back