Mossberg or 870

buzz_knox

I realize this has probably been asked before but bear with me. I'm thinking of getting a HD/general use shotgun and was leaning towards the Mossberg (better safety location and more familiar to me). However, many seem to prefer 870s. Is there an advantage to one or the other?

Christianity, Judaism, or Islam: which is the one true faith? ;)

The Mossy is a good shotgun. The 870 has an unmatched rep for longevity, durability and performance. I prefer the 870, I've one that's been used by me since about 1958, at least 3000 rounds,still no glitches...

I think it depends on what you like and what you don't.

I bought an 870 and like it a lot. A lot. The two things driving my choice were the trigger guard safety location and the comparatively quieter fore-end.

Mossy lovers, of course will tell you they bought theirs because they like the safety location on top of the reciever.

My 870 doubles for hunting, sport shooting, and home defense (er, is that "triples?"). For a stealthy kind of hunting situation, Remington, in my opinion, is a lot quieter gun to have with you. The fore-end of Mossy's rattle too much for me.

RJ

I have both. 500 and 870. I like both equally. The things I like about the 500: of course the tang safety, the rear slide release and the ejector is SCREWED in. NOT riveted like the 870. They also offer a superior (my opinion) set of factory ghost ring sights for a fraction of the price of some of the others

BUT

The 870 bolt slides right out of the receiver and the entire trigger/lifter mechanism is ONE peice (the 500 is several pieces).
They both have a lug that locks into a slot in the breech of the barrel.

Non-ergonomics:
Mossberg offers more factory "police type" shotguns and they don't seem to be giving in to the politically correct mumbo jumbo i.e. dimples in the mag tube and the silly key lock safety.

Go to the gun shop and try them both. Find a few people at the range that have them and ask politely to fire a few rounds.

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by nedfig (edited November 07, 2000).]

870!! I love the 870. I like the 500's safety location too but I am more used to the safety being on the trigger guard. I also like the fore-end release on the rear of the trigger guard instead of on the front. BUT if you work the action on both guns I think you will find the 870 to be much smoother and easier to operate. I also like the trigger assembly on the 870 being one piece and it's easy to clean. I'd ake the 870 over a 500 any day. JMHO

I'll give this one 3 more before shut down :rolleyes: Use search, it's got more info than you'll get in this one post.

Then go by an 870 ;)

Back