mossberg o/u

subhuman

looked at one of these ugly little suckers in my local shop today, all blacked out, 18.5" barrels, rail on top with rear blade sight and fiberoptic out front,short rail underslung off bootom barrel. i cant think of a use other then a toy to play aroud with but at $350 im not hurt if its reliable, any of y'all have one that you like or dislike ?

If it's any relation to the Silver Reserve series of O/U's, which have had reliability issues, I wouldn't take it for the bubble.

YMMV, of course.

One of my local gun clubs - bought about 10 of the Mossberg O/U's ...to be used as "rental guns" ...for trap, skeet and sporting clays....

and they got rid of all of them after about 6 months...they had all kinds of reliability and durability issues...( firing pin problems, lockup problems, etc )...

As a comparison, they purchased a bunch of Browning lightning used shotguns....about 2 yrs ago / and all of them are still part of the "rental" guns...with almost no issues.

Well... Not for me, but there apparently is a market for double barrel shotguns for defensive purposes; not everyone likes a pump. Saw a short SxS with a rail beneath the barrels in a store the other day. I guess the o/u would lend itself better to accessories than a SxS.... Just not exactly my thing, but then again a tactical lever gun 30/30 isn't my cuppa tea, either. To each his own. :-)

!

I've got the full-size 28" barrelled version of this, without the tactical rail or other cool gizmos. After about 400 rounds (I haven't had much more opportunity to shoot it than that) its function is flawless and its accuracy is everything I'm capable of wringing out of it thus far.

I bought it as a trap gun at a time I wasn't sure how much I might shoot or whether I would get hooked or not. I'm happy with it and will be holding on to it, even if I move on to something better, for possible use as a "field" gun that I'm not afraid to take out and get wet, scratched, etc., and because if I wreck it with a misjudged handload, I haven't thrown a couple of thousand dollars down the drain.

ETA: The only thing you might want to bear in mind for defence is that it has a trigger group lock to stop people blowing their own foot off - it won't fire at more than about a 45 degree down angle. This may or may not be relevant to you. On the other hand, although it's a selective single trigger, it's not an inertia job - if the first chamber fails to fire, you CAN simply pull the trigger again for the second. Remember though that to select the chamber, you must first set to safe - don't forget to take the safety off again when the time comes to fire!

Last edited:
T
he only thing you might want to bear in mind for defence is that it has a trigger group lock to stop people blowing their own foot off - it won't fire at more than about a 45 degree down angle.

Why a weapon clearly marketed as a tactical gun with rails cannot be fired down 45 degrees is beyond comprehension. It would be useless to a homeowner with bedrooms on the upper floor for defense against a ground floor intrusion.

I can only speak to the long-barrelled version. The "shorty" may or may not be different, although IIRC from YouTube and other forums (you decide for yourself how reliable this is) it is just the same thing with a different barrel.

I agree the defensive implications of such a thing in a multi-storey residence are... problematic to say the least. On a general note, and pertaining also to the long versionm, t's also an issue for those who like to (or more to the point, who are obliged to) hunt four-footed game with shotguns from tree rests. It would suck to have the perfect deer in your sights and not be able to deliver the shot.

That being said, the long-barrelled model also lacks a rear sight or mid bead (front bead only), or even provision for one; and while YMMV, I'm not sure I'd want to take such a firearm big game hunting anyway. It seems far more geared towards birds of both the feathered and clay variety, or the destruction of pest rabbits (e.g. in the Australian context) and other such creatures where one wasn't particularly bothered about the edibility or the state of the hide.

ETA: I would give my eye teeth for even a short segment of top rail on my long-barrelled version. At least give me the option of a rear dot or V sight, for heaven's sake!

i was just thinking about it as a toy, killing bottles of water, throwing stuff and shooting at it, shooting at the crow population around here, but i have a pistol gripped mossy 500 that does a marvelous job at this stuff that i can shoot from any position if i cant shoot down steep inclines with it why have it :confused:

Sounds like you've answered your own question, then.

I'm the first to admit that if I'd already owned a shotgun of any other kind, I wouldn't have bought this one as a first over-under - I'd immediately have gone for something pricier - but this does everything I wanted a "first shotgun" to do. If one day I'm eaten by zombies that climbed a hill or tree to get me, well, c'est la vie. :p

Back