Mossberg MVP flex 20" 7.62 10rd

rindle29

Inactive
I'm thinking of buying one of these and I'm wondering if without any improvements or alterations if this rifle is well put together and accurate using factory ammo. I'm not asking it to make crazy good groups at long distance just be accurate enough to hunt with out to 350 or so. My other option is go with a Remington 783 or savage axis or mossberg patriot or ruger American. I'll be using 150gr and heavier bullets but likely not heavier than 170 or so.

People on this website are going to think I work for Ruger, but when it comes to budget rifles, the Ruger American is a great choice. I bought one for my wife in .270 win and it is sub moa. I helped my friend set up a Ruger American in .308 with a leupold VX-2 and it is sub moa. My brothers wife has one in .243 and that one is sub MOA...are you seeing a pattern here?

Also the adjustable trigger is a nice touch where you can set it between about 5.5 and 2.5 lbs. The rubberized stock is very comfortable and the removable magazine is more convenient than my blind feed guns yet they do not protrude out of the bottom of the rifle. They also come with a very comfortable butt pad.

There are certainly better rifles out there, but not under $500 and if you get the stainless steel model, you won't have to worry about mud,crud, wind, or weather damaging your rifle. Just because you plan to use it for hunting and it will get beat up doesn't mean performance is irrelevant. Plus Ruger 's customer service is 1st class should anything go wrong with it.

If you get the Ruger, you won't be sorry.

My roommate shoots a ruger American in 30-06 with a Redfield revenge 4x12 and it is an awesome rifle especially considering what it cost him. The thing I like as differences I can see is the mvp has an adjustable stock, rail instead of just drilled, and accepts AR style mags. So if anyone has one and could weigh in that would be great.

You're halfway to the price of a nice 308 AR at that point, why not just get the real thing instead of a boogered up bolt gun? You'll want to replace the stock and pistol grip with something less sucktastic (the cheek weld alone is ass), and it's still just a Mossberg you'll be pouring more money into.

I have an MVP with a 16" heavy barrel and the laminated stock. With the loads it likes it shoots under MOA just a little bit. My best so far has been 3/4" and most groups come in at 15/16" to 1"

I would say the Ruger American is a bit more accurate as a rule, but just a bit, and the MVP uses the military magazines so if you want 10-25 round in a mag the MVP is the rifle. I have both 10 round and 20 round Mag-Pull mags for my rifle and they feed smooth as silk. If you are only hunting and you need only 4-5 rounds (as any hunter does) the Ruger is just as good and maybe a tiny bit better.

The Mossberg also has the option of the "flex" stock, which many people like.

My laminated stock was heavy and very ugly, so I took a block plane to it and reshaped it. I matched the finish and no it look good to my eyes.

I do like the Ruger extractor design a bit better than the one on my Mossberg, but the Mossberg extractor has not failed so the jury is still out on that issue.

Using factory ammo, out of any rifle, you'll have to try a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the ammo that the rifle shoots best. The price if it means nothing. And every rifle shots every brand and bullet weight differently.
Think 165's out of an MVP's 1 in 10 barrel.
"...Remington 783 or Savage Axis or Mossberg Patriot or Ruger American..." All of which are entry level hunting rifles. Just like the MVP.
Be prepared for a great deal of muzzle blast out of a 20" barrel. Won't be as bad as the 18.5" barrel though.

I think the Ruger with a hammer forged barrel would be better being I believe hammer forged barrels are the most accurate of mass produced rifles and do well against custom barrels. it is funny the OP was told to get and AR. if he said he needed tires some one would have said get an AR lol

I nearly purchased the MVP Flex in 7.62, but ended up finding a Howa Mini Action in 7.62 and absolutely love the gun. With American, off the shelf ammo, it is shooting sub-MOA at 100 yards.

Not trying to talk you out of the gun, as I believe the MVP to be outstanding as well. I do think you will love the 7.62x39 as much as I love it.

I also like the fact that the Howa has a .310 bore barrel. I will be working up some hunting loads for the gun with the Speer 150gr bullet that is a .311. I would imagine that the Mossberg also has a .310, but doesn't the Ruger have a .308? Since I will be loading at near max pressures, I don't want the stress of pushing a .311 bullet down a .308 hole.

But seriously, I shot a box of 40 rounds of Tulammo steel case in the gun to break it in and those were 2MOA or less. The gun shoots steel cases great and not a single mis-fire with those thick, tough, Russia primers.

Back