Mossberg Model 500 Super Bantam™

Sarge

My wife looked at one of these awhile back and fell in love with it, so I bought her one for her birthday. It's a Mossberg Model 500 Super Bantam™ 'All Purpose' 20 gauge Mag in Marble Pink with a 22" barrel and screw-in chokes. She can bust those clays with it, too.

Super_Pink_1_zpsc09793c2.jpg

These are also available in manly black or camo and since the stock is adjustable, it can be tailored for kids or small stature shooters.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-500-super-bantam-all-purpose/54210

I am fairly impressed so far. I'll pattern it with the IC, Mod and Full chokes and report back in a day or two... if I can keep from busting myself in the schnozz with my thumb-knuckle.

I often recommend this ultra-reliable gun for the ladies. Great weight, balance, LOP, forearm length, power -- not too long nor short. Versatile -- can be used for HD thru sport shooting to hunting.

For the gent -- ADD THE EXTRA BUTT-SPACER BACK IN!

:rolleyes:

Ran a few patterns with the Bantam today; Universal 2 ¾ inch # 7 ½ field loads are what we had on hand. I think 30 yards is a good max distance for Improved Cylinder scatterguns, so there is where I checked the IC tube.

BantamICat30_zps4eb2a16a.jpg

I checked the modified tube at 40 yards, same load.

BantamMODat40_zps9765c5b5.jpg

Pretty good patterns for a 20 gauge and it centers them right on the bead. Full choke tube will be patterned at 40 yards tomorrow, time permitting.

I haven’t had a 20 gauge in years but after patterning this Mossberg, I’m asking myself- why not? I don’t hunt waterfowl; I just might shoot a turkey if the spirit moves me. I use a shotgun for doves, quail, clay birds and whatever nuisance critters show up around the farm. There’s not a base in there anywhere that a 20 gauge won’t cover. Compared to my 30” Wingmaster, these little Bantams are so light and handy it’s ridiculous. They are putting much better pads on 500’s these days and the gun comes equipped with sling studs. Recoil was scarcely noticeable even with the midget stock.

BantamShortStock_zps4559f384.jpg

I just might have to get me one of these… though I think the green camo might suit me better than pink ;)

Last edited:
For quite some time I have had only 20 gauge for a shotgun and it happens to be an old M-500 with an 18 inch cyl. barrel... In the last couple years I added a Stevens double barrel cut back to 19 or 20 inches...

My next shotgun will be a mossberg 930 12 gauge in walnut.... But I just have a hard time justifying the purchase with these 2 guns filling my needs well enuff...

Brent

Sarge, maximum I guess, but 20 and 30 meters would have been better ranges to test IC and Mod chokes, respectively, where 70-75% of the shot would be expected to be in a 30" circle. Those are also the ranges you'll want to match the chokes to to get the optimal shot density for the targets you're trying yo hit.

Trap? Improved Modified...

We're on the edge of the prairie Matt. You get a passing shot on doves here under 30 yards, you better go buy a lottery ticket.

BTW, our birds aren't metric yet either ;)

Back