Mossberg model 500-c

Bernie Link

Hi Friends, I'm thinking about buying a MOSSBERG MODEL 500-C 20GA PUMP WITH A 26" VENT RIB BARREL. I have shoulder problems, can't handle heavy guns. Can anyone tell me the approx. weight of this gun? Thanks, Bernie

I have a 20 gauge Mossberg 500, but I don't know what your -C means.

All current Mossberg 500 models and weights are listed on their web site:

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/500/ Click on the "models" tab.

Depending on what your shoulder issue is, recoil could be more of an issue than gun weight. In fact, you may want a heavier gun, which will have less recoil, all else being the same.

Semi-autos generally have less recoil than pumps.

I have a 20 gauge Mossberg 500, but I don't know what your -C means.

Once upon a time Mossberg appended a letter to show gauge of the 500 shotguns. A=12, B=16, C=20, D=28 and E=410.

Bs are rare and I don't think they ever actually made a 28.

They dropped the letter system many years ago.

To address the OP's question: Mossberg models vary a lot in weight. I have two 20" 12 ga 500s that look very similar. However the newer one has a much lighter synthetic stock and weighs half a pound less.

7 lbs would be a reasonable guess.

Everyone I know who has had seriously debilitating shoulder injuries or operations has greatly benefited from shoulder exercises, including myself.
But the exercises have to be the right ones to gain expected results and avoid further injury.
You might want to look into it, rather than restricting yourself to being physically impaired.
It can be a long, drawn out process, but I'm very glad I did it.

Hi Friends, I'm thinking about buying a MOSSBERG MODEL 500-C 20GA PUMP WITH A 26" VENT RIB BARREL. I have shoulder problems, can't handle heavy guns. Can anyone tell me the approx. weight of this gun? Thanks, Bernie

With recoil, heavier is better. The heavier the gun, the less recoil you feel.

The heaviest gun you can handle shooting the lightest, slowest loads will give you the least recoil. Many times a 20 can have more recoil than a 12 because the guns typically weigh a pound or more less than their 12 gauge counterpart.

Add a gas action instead of a pump and a good recoil device like a gracoil or similar and recoil can be very tolerable for folks with shoulder or neck issues.

All that aside, gun fit is crucial in your case and needs to be addressed. A good stock fitter session will, unfortunately, cost about as much as the gun you are contemplating.

500 weight

I just weighted my 500 20ga Syn, 26" barrel: 7lb, 4oz. Empty.

500 12ga Syn, 28" barrel, 7lb, 9oz. Empty.

Back