Mossberg Maverick .243 bolt gun possibilities

Gator Weiss

I am in the process of purchasing the Maverick in .243. Under 200 bucks with scope. It's short, composite stock, rain resistant, car and truck friendly, and in .243 folks are reporting excellent MOA. Plenty of distance, power and accuracy in a knock-about carbine size with damn few moving parts. With a short-stock it shoulders very quickly. Weighs practically nothing. The .243 is easy to handload and works well with the old-school 4064 powder loads and others. Can't beat the price. It's from a shop / dealer. I have noted what I believe to be some of the positive points. Does anyone here have personal experiences with these rifles? Any personally experienced problems? Anything to know?

Gator,

You can`t go wrong with that set-up. A few years back, I bought the Night Train .308 made by mossburg...I can`t complain about the quality...I had no problems with it..

I later sold it to help fund the new Ruger Gunsite Scout...I wanted a detachable mag rifle...and that was my choice at the time.

I recently bought another Rem 700 in .243 Win...starting over with working up a good coyote load...I`m old and set in my ways, so I`ll continue working with the old IMR powders...4320, 4350, and 4064 were my favorites back in the `70`s .

Good luck with that new rifle!

Thanks

Thanks for responding to my question. I am very appreciative of what you have told me. I am getting some .243 dies for my press. I am getting very interested in this particular cartridge and I am eager to work up some loads for the range.

I have a Maverick in .270 that I bought a few years back when they were discontinuing them. I wanted to buy a .243 but they only had youth models and they were too small for my kids. I put a Weaver 40/44 2.8-10x 44mm on it and it is a good shooter and hunting rifle. I have $300 in it and I'm not afraid to ding it. My only complaint is that the bolt is really loose and will come out of battery if it snags on a limb.

Its hard to go wrong with 4064 for a .243. My grandfather started reloading for me in the late 80's when I was a kid and I still use his same data. Its hard to beat what has already been proven.

Back