Mossberg M trainer rifles?

BerdanSS

I missed buying a really clean Mossberg 151M for $170 by less than an hour yesterday. Up till then I'd never even heard of these or the 42M/46M. So I started researching them and am now completely consumed with getting one of the three. I'm leaning more towards the magazine feed 42M bolt gun, or the 151M semi auto.

Any body have one? Thoughts, comments, guidance....PICTURES :D:D:D?

I don't know what it is about them that all of a sudden I like them. First one I looked at, I though it was an ugly little sucker....the more I looked at it, the more I started liking them!

Right now I'm looking at a really nice condition 151M C for $239. No scope or mount, but it has both swivels and the older s-130 micro sight. Beautiful walnut stock(s)

Nope....I believe that is the 152

picture of a 151M semi auto
212z71f.jpg

42M 5 round mag feed
d859197d444e50b3befcd93cd636febb.jpg

46M 15 round front tube feed
9302135_1.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing as far as I know, some of these were lend lease to the British military shortly after WWII and were supposed to mimic shooting the enfields. I believe the 42M and 42M A primarily filled this roll.

I really wanted a bolt action 42M for mouning a YHM mite suppressor on, Buuuut I Just spotted a 151M C for a good price (comparatively) GORGES walnut on this one. Trying to get it :D

You have a good eye !!!

I've had a number of these, in the past and they are pretty neat little rifles. There is a Mossber forum out there as well as the website that deals with replacement parts. I also see these from time to time. Last GS, I saw three. I have a soft spot in my heart for these as well ... ;)

I've been told these can shoot circles around a 10/22 (and most others)
Sure, although you are talking two different animals and not hard to find a rifle that will outshoot a standard 10/22.

Folks started collecting these older Mossbergs when the Winchesters and Remingtons started drying up or too expensive. ... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Well.....I'm the proud winner of a mint condition 151M-C :D It has an earlier model rear target sight from a 151M-B and the C front sight. Everything is there but the 4M4c telescopic sight.

B-E-A-utiful walnut stock, and described as very low use with sharp, bright rifling and bore. I'm happy as a hog sleep'n in the slop trough:D Overnighting payment tomorrow, hope to have it by the weekend for a range trip!

You did well !!!

BerdanSS
By any chance, is this one rated to be able to shoot Shorts, Longs as well as LR? If so, the barrel will be stamped as such. To be clearer, that would be LR in semi-auto and the rest , in bolt. .... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Dead on sir...its LT only. I belive all the semi-automatics were all LR only (I'm only making reference to the M series trainers here), except maybe the 151s elder the 51. The bolt gun trainers are short, long and LR...the 42 and 46.

I have a mossberg M44 from the CMP myself -- its a great little rifle and I'm very happy with it. I'm looking forward to teaching my son to shoot on it in a few years

Back