Mossberg big bore lever action

Tinbucket

Sevral years ago, at a pawn and gun shop in northern Alabama I looked at several big bore lever actions.
One was a Mossberg lever action in .444 and several Marlin .444 and .45-70.
I remember looking at the differences in the bore. The Marlin had micro groove and the Mossberg standard bore.
The extractors were much more robust than the stamped metal of the Marlin.
I've been looking on the Internet today with the idea of buying one.
I find no reference even to such a gun.
Was I confused?

Mossberg 472

I believe that the largest bore any older Mossberg lever action (M472) would have had were the ones chambered in .35 Remington.

It have a Western Field branded Mossberg 472 chambered in .30-30. It's a nice rifle, every bit as good as my Marlin's.

I also have thought about a big bore rifle, but I cant decide between a Marlin 45-70 or a Bushmaster 450 ar. I cant say I have seen a Mossberg big bore but who knows, mabye it was a custom made gun?

I wish I had my Winchester 94 Big bores in my safe again 307 , 356 , 375 & 444
The 356 was my favorite.... Strong action

I don't believe Mossberg ever made a .444 Marlin.

I would suspect that the Mossberg was a .45-70 and you're mis-remembering.
Of course, it could be a rifle that someone rebarreled.

Marlin did, of course, make Model 336 variants in .444 Marlin (labeled as Models 336-444 Magnum, 336-444, and 444 over the years; with T, S, SS, P, XLR, and no suffix, to designate variants).
The 444 receiver later evolved into the 'new' 1895 (.45-70).

For the Marlin 444:
'65 to '72 rifles had 24" barrels and straight-grip, 'Monte Carlo'-style stocks with a high comb ('63 and '64 pre-production and very early production rifles matched the standard configuration of the 336-44 Magnum).
After that, until the 18.5" "Outfitter" and 24" XLR versions, all factory variants had 22" barrels. All barrels, until 1998, were Micro-Grooved.
After '72, all standard models were pistol-grip style.
The cross-bolt safety was introduced in 1983.
In 1998 standard ("Ballard") rifling was used in the barrels, and continued on until the 444s were discontinued in 2009.
The 'P' model ("Outfitter") was introduced in 1998 with the short, 18.5" barrel, factory porting, and a straight-grip configuration. (Highly sought-after, and often selling now for three to four times original MSRP.)
The XLRs were brought out in 2003 with a 24" barrel, in stainless steel. (Even more desirable than the Outfitters, to many collectors and shooters. NIB examples can exceed $3,200 at auction.)

Hopefully that quick (and unexpected) model history lesson might be of some use.

Oh...
The Marlin extractor is not a problem.
It's actually a two-piece design that's brazed together to get a good 'hook' to grab cartridge rims. Makes production cheap. Makes assembly and disassembly easy. Makes cleaning easy. But is just as reliable as any other style, as long as the rifle is maintained properly (as with any rifle).

The Model 94 was called the Timber Carbine. Winchester chambered it in 444 with a 18" ported barrel and a pistol grip stock.

Back