Mossberg ATR 100 (.270 & 30-06)

beagle

Well, today I got the 30-06 version, and mounted a Bushnell Sportsman 3-9x40 on it, and 1 box Remmy 180gr Core Lokts.

Total cost was $340 with tax at Wally World.

Then I took it out to the woods.

Without even adjusting the scope and at 100yds I marked 2" to the right and 2" low of center on the "FIRST" shot.

The very next shot was "DEAD ON" center !!!

I then adjusted the scope 8 clicks for 2.0" over dead center for an appx. 200 yd zero.

The very next 3 shots were 2" above the first one and made a hole that you could cover with a nickle (all three touching)!!!

One Shot for sighting in

Four shots "Dead On" exactly where they were aimed.

My friend took his turn with it, (Mandatory if you bring a friend),
and to his amazement printed a 5 shot 1.25" group.

So being utterly amazed myself I headed back to Wally World.

I went and got the .270 version with the same scope and some 150gr. Core Lokts. Same cost $340.00

Then it was back to the woods.

It took a couple of shots to sight it in but the next 8 shots printed a 2" group.

Then my friend gave it a try, I think his shoulder might have been hurting because this time his groups were 1.75"

So right now I've got two great setups for myself or family / friends,
a bruised right shoulder, and an upset, irate wife.

and all for under $700.00

Only time will tell if they can hold up, but it definitely put 'em where I aimed 'em today.

I read a review on those rifles (I think in american rifleman) and it said they were top notch for the money. How's the fit and finish? Congrats on getting two good ones.

Thanks for the info on your rifles. I have been interested in these rifles for a while now. I have read somewhere about instances of A.D. while closing the bolt. Does anyone have any info about a possible sear problem with these rifles?

As far as fit and finish goes, it's a synthetic stock and IMHO I think its perfect. It feels great at the ready, and I think it looks very nice.

I'm fairly rough in the handling department, but with the synthetic, I'm not worried about nicking or denting the wood as with my Remmy 7400.

The action to me is very smooth and I had no problems whatsoever cycling the next round, and bringing it to the ready again.

The trigger has just a tad bit of creep. Not too noticeable, but I'm not picky about that aspect much anyway.

But overall, I think both rifles for $680.00 (with the way they performed) is probably the best deal I've ever come across.

It definitely makes "Made In the USA" proud.

i own the same rifle in the 30-06 with a 3-12-40 bushnell ledgend scope and it is very accurate these guns would be even better if the action was beded better in the stock. but i have killed so many things w/ my 06. love it.

Howdy fellas.

Hope ya'll had a Merry Christmas.

Just finished up the last day of a 3 day hunt with the 30-06 ATR.

Got a 6pt on the first day, an 8pt and a doe on the 2nd, and today we ate part of the 6 pt. and I rested, no sense in being greedy. ;)

I also took a turkey buzzard at about 150 yds with a dead center chest shot. Buddy, it came off the branch like a downed kamikaze plane :D
(In case you're wondering it was too close to my 8 ptr.)

The doe was about 130yds away and both bucks at about 165yds. The only one that got more than a step after being shot was the 6pt and he got about 10yds before folding.

I can tell you that the ATR didn't hiccup once and neither did the scope. I was using Remmy's core lokt 180gr and everything was perfect.

I figure I'll get back at least a couple of more times before the season ends, but right now, I'm as giddy as schoolgirl on prom night.

Back