Mossberg accu choke.

yes. I believe Improved cylinder is recommended for better accuracy, but people shoot out of modified as well.

Accu-choke is just the type/model of choke tube that will fit in your threads, it is not the level of constriction.

A choke tube simply restricts the size of the muzzle where the pellets (or slug in this case) exit the bore.

There are many different types of chokes, the most common are improved, modified, full, extra full, and skeet. There are countless others.

For a better understanding of the different types and their level of constriction, CLICK HERE.

choke tubes

Sounds like your gun is threaded at the muzzle for "choke tubes". Choke tubes are removable/interchangeable tubes that install and remove at the muzzle, typically with a special wrench. The tube will usually be stamped as to its type, on the side, visible once removed from the barrel.

Be advised that if not maintained well, a shotgun with interchangeable chokes can have the tube stuck/rusted/corroded in the muzzle and be a booger- bear to get out.

Some you tube searching or a visit to a friendly shop should get you up to speed. Good luck with it.

If your Mossy isn't overbored then shoot plain lead Foster (rifled) slugs with the improved cylinder choke tube if the shotgun is a smooth bore.
If you remove the tube it should be marked "i.c." or perhaps imp.cyl., etc.
Untill this year my home state of Ohio only allowed shotguns & slugs for deer.
(certain handguns & muzzle loaders also)
I've taken over 50 deer with rifled slugs using a Mossy 500 or the Remington 870.
Proper sights help. In fact sights should be manditory.
With rifled slugs that shot well I could get 4" groups or better with either
shotgun.
Last month Ohio allowed certain rifle calibers for deer hunting & I already own
4 that I can use so the sluggers are now retired!

Back