Mossberg 935 Magnum is good in my book.

Blindstitch

For about a year I searched left and right for a shotgun that I preferred to be a 3 1/2 inch magnum 12 gauge. I looked at a few pumps and then convinced myself into autos. Browning, Franchi, Winchester, Stoeger, Benelli, Remington.. In the end the Mossbergs fit my requirements and since I have 2 mossberg 500's it just felt right. In the end I kept debating the Mossberg 935 and Stoeger 3500 knowing I wanted to stay in the $500-700 range.

The Stoeger was 1/2 inch or so longer which I didn't like but looked in to shortening and lastly the safety location said get the Mossberg. It matched the two Mossbergs I already have and Savage Fox and Browning Citori.

So I bought the Shadow Grass model from Dunhams Sports Ship to store site. I think it came to $619 plus tax and then added an NDZ follower, safety and an off brand oversized bolt handle.
https://www.mossberg.com/product/935-magnum-waterfowl-81023/

I had it ready for turkey season but blew my chance sawing off a pretty good size tree instead of a bird neck.

So I shot a bunch of clays over the summer and geared up for duck/goose season. I'm not the best waterfowl hunter as I'm teaching myself but I'm more than proficient with other animals that fly or run.

Well I've been out twice a week since opening day so maybe 10-12 outings and I've managed 33 coots (yes I eat them), 2 geese, 2 mallards, 1 bluewing teal, 1 gadwall drake, 1 goldeneye and 1 virginia rail. This is the most birds I have ever bagged in any season and unfortunately lost a few other birds in the cattails.

The gun has done fine without any failure to fire or failure to ejects. I did have one shell that didn't hit the chamber right and got suck but pulling the charging handle back it fell back the way it needed to be. I also got a couple shells suck when trying to eject one my the charging handle and it fell back in as the other came up. But that was user error.

For hunting I tend to use Winchester SuperX 3 inch steel at 1550fps in 4,2, and BB. I do shoot 3 1/2's during goose and turkey season only and I don't think the kick is all that bad. I have also shot lighter loads than suggested for the gun and never had an issue. Sure the light loads might only go 5+feet compared to 3 1/2 inchers that can go 20 some feet.

I wish I would have bought this gun sooner.

I've heard people call them that. I made up a batch cleaned of all fat and wrapped in bacon for some friend earlier in the week and they all say they were great. Definitely an under rated bird.

Back