Mossberg 930 series

nightwolf1974

Been thinking of a new home defense shotgun, so I've been looking into the 930 series by Mossberg. And I have a couple of questions.............

1, Are they reliable?

2, Do the have the same shell carrier system like the 500, or a setup like the Rem. 1100?

3, Will they cycle lowbrass birdshot without problems?

My 930 SPX has been 100% using 00 and 4 buck, which is what I practice with. I haven't shot any low powered bird shot out of mine, but I understand it may not cycle them until the firearm is broken in. I can say that one of my instructors highly recommends the 930. He took his to a weekend shotgun class where they ran through a few thousand rounds and, much to the chagrin of those equipped with the 500-590's and 870's, it performed very well indeed. You do, however, have to clean it every 400 rounds or so, which is no big deal. Hope this helps out.

Mine was reliable with high-brass, hunting loads (usually BB to 3 shot for ducks and geese), however it refused to cycle with low-brass target loads. It made a trip back to Mossberg to fix the issue, and they sent it back saying it was good to go. Well, it wasn't, and still refused to cycle them.

As such, I traded mine in. It was fine to hunt with, but I did not want to keep it when I could not practice with it using basic target shells.

My 930 SPX has been 100% with everything I've put through it, from light target loads to the 00 Buck I generally shoot it with, since it is for HD. I've put probably 10 different loads through it, vetting it, and have declared it very reliable. After a stock adjustment upon first getting it home, I found it fit me perfectly as well. I like it a lot.

1. What are you using now for home defense?

2. Why would you pick a shotgun for home defense?

3. Would this shotgun be your primary firearm?

4. Do you have the time and a place to train with your shotgun?

5. Are you planning on using bird shot for practice, and then use buckshot for HD?

Last edited:
Back