Mossberg 88 Question

Truckeic

I bought maybe 3 years ago a Mossberg 88 that came with pistol grip and stock. I thought this would only chamber 2 3/4 rounds but reading today it says it will do 3". Are all the 88's the same chamber? does anybody know what kit came with the pistol grip as a factory kit?

We're in the wrong part of the forum (should ask in the shotgun section), but as long as we're here:
Pretty sure Mossbergs have three inch chambers as standard.
Be careful measuring though, as the chambers are sized for rounds that have been fired with open crimps.
The magnum barrels are another matter.

I believe the 88's were built far enough later than the other guns to say yes they should be 3 inch chambers but it is always best to read what is printed on the barrel.

You don't mention the gauge size but I believe the answer would be the same for 12, 20 and 410.

I dont think its listed on the barrel, reason i say that is the 500 and 590 barrels work on this gun and I have a 18.5 that came with this gun and I have the 24" that i bought from a guy who used to have a 500.
I guess I thought this 88 was a 2 3/4 and yes it is a 12 guage.

I don't own an 88 but I believe on all of the mossberg 500 style guns it is listed on the left side of the barrel.

If you really want an answer call mossberg. They have great customer service.

I also don't remember Mossberg offering the 88 as a pistol so most likely yours started life as a shotgun and someone added the $12 grip. Not a big deal but I believe Mossberg covers themselves as good as they can so they would put the cartridge length on the barrel so they didn't get sued when someone tried to drop in a 3 1/2 inch.

I purchased a Maverick 88 around 2008 in the security model and it did indeed come with the pistol grip.It was included in the package but the full stock was installed as factory.

I thought all shotguns had the chamber size stamped on the barrel usually on the left side. My wife's Mossberg 88 does and yes it's 3"

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Back