Mossberg 835 modification

Isaac90

Inactive
Id recently gotten a Mossberg 835 from a friend and have been working towards using it as a home defense weapon. I liked the 590A1's that my unit had when I was in the Army and the feel was almost identical minus the 835 being heavier. I ordered the 18.5 inch barrel from Mossberg and am just waiting for it to arrive now. There are a few things I want to modify on it still but I'm admittedly not anywhere near as knowledgeable with shotguns as I am with rifles or handguns so figured it's better to ask for advice and help to do what Im aiming for than mess something up or buy something that wont work or something of the sort. Basically, Im wanting to find a good pistol grip without the shoulder stock to it, would like to find a magazine extension that isn't going to end up sticking out farther than the barrel like I'd read the Choate one does, and find a decent tri-rail forgrip pump for it as well. And some recommendations on which types of ammo would go well for what Im using it for without having to worry too bad about over penetration. Any help with any of this stuff would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

find a good pistol grip without the shoulder stock to it

No, you REALLY don't.............

Put your short barrel on, then go get some lessons and learn to run the gun
Spend your money on ammo and practice. K.I.S.S. is best.

Did you use the pistol grip only version in the army?
If not, a shotgun runs so much better with a properly fit shoulder stock.
A pistol grip greatly limits the usefulness of any shotgun.
As for avoiding over penetration of indoor walls, and still have plenty of useful defensive power, don't overlook birdshot.
Most folks will say it's a lousy defensive load, but it can be very effective at close range.

Last edited:
As long as you are talking about large birdshot, like #2, I'd go along with that. Most seem to like #4 buck, even over 00.

835's

I've read that some military units used the shotgun primarily/solely as a "breacher" and not a fighting gun, and the pistol grip for that purpose just made the shotgun, intended only as an entry "tool", more portable. Not sure if that's the OP's experience or not.

That said, a proper stock is more useful, period.

Choate makes different size extensions for the 835, and I'd think a "+2" would n not extend past the muzzle of an 18.5" gun, but am not completely certain. If the extension does indeed extend past the muzzle a bit, an extended choke tube (there are extended tubes that are not tight shooting turkey and predator tubes) can lengthen the barrel by 1-1/5 inches and solve the problem.

My friend is in the AF and carried a mossberg in Iraq I believe. I think they were fitted with a pistol grip to make them more handy while riding in trucks. He said they were next to useless when unmounted. I personally do not believe in using birdshot/less lethal rounds in self defense and would load up with OO buck.

Back