Mossberg 802 or Ruger Rimfire or Henry?

TruthTellers

For some reason lately I started thinking again about a non-semi auto .22 rifle. Must have been because I pulled the Mossberg 702 out of the closet recently and remember that the bolt action uses the same mags.

I currently have a Marlin XT-22, but have been rather disappointed with it in terms of accuracy. No matter what I shoot in it, it's 2 inches at 50 yards while the Ruger Charger I have is about half inch at the same distance.

Needless to say, I think 2" @ 50y is abysmal for a bolt .22.

But, since I have the Charger and it uses the same mags as the Ruger Rimfire, I'm left wondering which I should get if I go with a bolt action. The Mossbergs are extremely cheap, but I've had good results with my 702, it actually outshoots the Marlin.

However, I've also thought about a Henry rifle in .22 because a lever action sounds fun, but it's probably the most expensive option and isn't as sleek with a scope put on it. Not sure I want to put a scope on these rifles just yet, but the Marlin has one on it as a bolt action .22 without a scope feels... wrong.

I tried to find the e-mail I received from Mossberg,,,
But I must have deleted it.

I own a Mossie 702 Plinkster and asked if the 702 & 802 Mags were interchangeable.

According to the reply from Mossberg,,,
They are not.

Aarond

Have you checked your Marlin to see if everything is tight where it should be and loose where it is supposed to be? The last time I had a rifle shooting 2" at 50 yds the barrel was loose at the receiver.

If you can't get the Marlin to shoot and a new gun is in order.....I love my Henry 22. No scope. My scoped 22 is a Savage Mark II. Most ammo shoots around 1/2" at 50 yds. My only Mossberg rifle is a centerfire, but it shoots good. So I wouldn't try to talk you out of it. But if you're selling the XT22 I have $50 burning a hole in my pocket:D

Have you checked your Marlin to see if everything is tight where it should be and loose where it is supposed to be? The last time I had a rifle shooting 2" at 50 yds the barrel was loose at the receiver.

If you can't get the Marlin to shoot and a new gun is in order.....I love my Henry 22. No scope. My scoped 22 is a Savage Mark II. Most ammo shoots around 1/2" at 50 yds. My only Mossberg rifle is a centerfire, but it shoots good. So I wouldn't try to talk you out of it. But if you're selling the XT22 I have $50 burning a hole in my pocket:D
I sent it in years ago to get looked at and was told the barrel was "lapped" but even after that there was still chatter marks in the grooves. I told someone else about the issue and they contacted Marlin and asked what they deemed acceptable accuracy with the XT-22 rifles and the response was 2 inch groups at 50 yards w/ Remington Golden Bullet.

I've shot about everything in it to little success, the best groups I've gotten were CCI Quiet at 15 or 25 yards.

I would be more than happy to sell it with the scope mounted and the speed loader (it's a tube magazine) but not for $50.

Get a Ruger American and be done with it. They shoot great right out of the box with just about any ammo you use.

Back