Mossberg 590

OBIWAN

Can you swap out the trigger groups on the 590?
I have a shot at a great deal on one with the plastic assy.
I have always heard the metal group is of better quality

the 590 i keep for HD is one with plastic trigger group and i cannot think of anything i could do to it to tear it up..The only reason the steel one exists is because uncle sam specified it for military--my gun or the one i had before this one ever had any malfunctions--i for one would not loose one minutes sleep over the trigger guard being plastic. By the way my glocks are plastic. By the way H&K's are plastic...Dick

This is pure speculation, but I'll hazard a guess that the military specified a metal trigger guard in the Mossberg 590A1 because of the tendency of plastic to deteriorate over time. This is true of the Mossberg 44 .22 training rifles available from CMP. These were made over 50 years ago and they all have very brittle plastic trigger guards that disinegrate and must be replaced. Of course we're talking WWII era plastics technology here. Modern plastics are much more durable.

That, plus the fact that metal is harder than plastic and doesn't break in heavy combat usage. I mean, it's not supposed to break. <G>

BTW, I know the guy who makes replacement metal trigger guards for the Mossberg 44. He hangs out on Culver's Shooting Page. Sorry to stray into rifle forum territory but I thought it relevant to this post.

Back