Mossberg 590 & Side Saddle

MightyQuinn

Inactive
I picked up my 590 yesterday, and a sidesaddle to go with it. (Side saddle is made by Tac Star.)

I'm wondering, now, how often the trigger assembly and internal receiver parts need to be stripped and cleaned. If I keep the side saddle installed, it will make field stripping the gun impossible with allen wrenches and screw drivers. To install the side saddle, I had to remove the trigger assembly pin, and eject screw and replace them with longer screws, which extended beyond the outside of the receiver. The side saddle base plate is affixed to this screws, and then the shell holder is screwed on to the base plate with 6 small screws....a real pain in the neck to take off and put on after every trip to the range.

I'm wonder what others do....

John

I drop the trigger group about once a year unless the weapon has been under very wet conditions, or used a lot.Lot means more than 1000 rds/yr to me. Of course, if there's a buildup or problems, it gets detail stripping and TLC.

Thanks for the reply, Dave. While I'm at it, is there any special concoction I need to clean the barrel? For my handguns, I use Birchwood Casey Bore Cleaner, Break Free, and a copper solvent. (I also use Gun Scrubber to get grunge out of hard-to-reach places.) Will the plastic shells coat the bore with anything that requires a different solvent?

Will a bronze brush hurt the smooth bore?

John

Greetings,
Greetings,

I am relatively new to shotgunning too. This is how I clean the bore.

Take a bronze brush on a rod and a large patch saturated with Hoppe's #9. Patch goes over brush, push brush through from chamber one way only. Repeat with new wet patch. Then spray RemOil inside bore and let it soak for an hour, rotating barrel for even coverage.

Then, dry patch over brush, oily patch over brush if still dirty. Finish with oily patch over bore mop, and dry patch over bore mop. Pretty clean by then. Like to hear comments from those with more experience.

Regards,

Ledbetter

[This message has been edited by Ledbetter (edited August 23, 2000).]

Mighty Quinn --
Congrats on your purchase. Your cleaning process is right on. But one word of caution. If you bought the parkarized version, then your barrel is parkarized on the inside of the bore as well as the outside. So don't try and clean the bore until it gleams inside. Use your patch as a reference. I'm only mentioning this because a poster on another board was cleaning his 590 for the first time and couldn't "get the inside shiny." So he put the cleaning rod and brush in his hand drill and went at it. Hope this helps.

Brass brush, Hoppe's #9, elbow grease. When the patches come out clean, a little oil on the mop and I'm done.

Do have a chamber brush that does the chamber and cone, but it's rarely needed.

That's hilarious! Bore brush on a drill, huh? I wonder what that did to his gun.

Yes, I do have the parkerized 590, and I noticed that the inside of the barrel *looked* grungy when I bought it. I cleaned it with a bore brush, and some stuff came out, but when the patch came out clean, I quit. Still *looks* grungy inside, at least a little, so I'm glad to know that this is normal.

<< But one word of caution. If you bought the parkarized version, then your barrel is parkarized on the inside of the bore as well as the outside. So don't try and clean the bore until it gleams inside. Use your patch as a reference. I'm only mentioning this because a poster on another board was cleaning his 590 for the first time and couldn't "get the inside shiny." So he put the cleaning rod and brush in his hand drill and went at it. >>

Heard of unscrupulous types using a brake hone on a drill to "Clean up" corroded bores. Since it removes significant amounts of bbl metal, it's something to watch out for.

Quinn and Dave. Use the brake hone ONCE and just enough for FINISH. You aren't looking for metal removal and three minutes with a polishing grit should do the trick. Once you do that, the barrel should be really easy to clean. Make sure you clean out all of the abrasive compound and put a thin but thorough coat of gun oil on the inside of the bore.

When I clean, I use a Tornado brush. They are really good at a four or five pass cleaning. First pass is with a CLP soaked patch wrapped around the brush. Second and third passes are with a bare brush. Fourth pass is with another soaked patch. Final pass with a dry patch. Repeat process if desired. If you're going to store the gun, follow up with a final pass with a soaked patch. It really doesn't matter if you do this from the muzzle or breech, but the breech is easier due to the allignment of the chamber. So far as internals... once a year so long as you don't experience malfunctions or get the gun into dirt or water.

Back