Mossberg: 590 or 930?

Nine the Ranger

I've been eyeing both of these for a while as I've hand a craving for a tactical/combat shotgun for a while.

Primary uses would be range duty and Bedside gun, in my area the prices are quite similar everywhere I've looked. I'm just wanting a little input from people.

Note: Please don't recommend I buy a Remington 870 or something else, my heart is set on Mossberg as I already have a 500 which I love and have grown to not like Remington.

Well, it depends on if you want a pump or semi-auto. A 590A1 is on my list for the near future.

And I hate to say it, but I would take an 1100 or 11-87 over a 930 every time.

Part of me is leaning towards the 930 just because it sounds fun to chuck lead downrange really fast.

But I am liking the 590 too, from a practical standpoint it seems better.

Which one is more easily accessorized with sights, optics, ect.?

I'd go with the 590. I like the blued one with the heat shield installed, personally. It's not a 590A1, but I prefer the blued finish with the chromed bolt.

I have 2 590A1's (20: and 18.5" models)

I like them both a lot. I also want a 930 SPX or similar at some point, just for the point of having a semi auto shotgun.

For you use, I would definitely say to get the 590 though. I like the regular park'd 590. The heavy barrel on the A1 makes it pretty heavy. Training enough with it makes it not an issue, but if I had to do it over again, I'd probably just get the 590 and then add the metal trigger guard and safety afterwards.

In either case, I do love my 590A1s. I think that would be the right choice.

Rb9ET97.jpg

go with the 590, I just bought the 930 with the breacher barrel, it is hard to find accessories for it, I searched and searched for a base to mount a red dot and was only able to find ONE on ebay, and extra barrel also seems to be hard to find, if you want to add a sling mount for a single point sling that too is hard to find and expensive...during my internet travels I did see a lot more stuff for the 500/590 models than the 930, i went with the 930 because where i work i get a good discount and paid i very decent price for it, it was a toss up between the 930 or the rem 887 tactical, accessories for the 887 were even more non existence

Nine the Ranger,
A few years back I was shopping for a tactical shotgun too and it seemed that anything with "tactical" in the name, added another $100 to $150. :p Then I found the Mossberg 500 Turkey Special. This shotgun is full camo, so no rusting issues and a 20" barrel, which makes it maneuverable in close quarters. Plus, for $294 out the door...I couldn't pass it up. The prices haven't gone up that much, as I see Buds Gun Shop sells them for $356.

I use my Turkey Special for hunting coyotes, HD and I have a cantilever rifled barrel for the deer gun season. :cool:

Also, I own a Mossberg 930 with a 24" barrel. I used this one for coyotes and waterfowl. I've had NO issues with this shotgun, but for HD and the reliability of a pump action, I would still recommend the Turkey Special over the 930. :)

Good luck with your choices!
Bowhunter57

If you want a pump take the 590A1 I Love mine. I also love my 930 SPX... As for accessories..The 930 SPX is better because it comes with a rail already. So buy both and you can enjoy them both. Or get a Benelli M3 and you can have a pump or semi all in one. Benelli is much better then any of my Mossbergs. Love my Benellis

@Dreaming100Straight:

Yes, if my 500 was a short barreled 12ga I would be satisfied, however it is quite the opposite being a long barreled 20ga.

It's great in the field, swings wonderfully, but the long barrel is unwieldy in close quarters.

Plus I just kinda want a tackycool shotgun, if I can justify the purchase then all the better :cool:

Back