Mossberg 590 - Ghost Ring or Rifle Sights

Blade37db

I was looking at 590s this weekend and was toggling between the 2 sight options. I don''t want just a plain old bead.
I seem to be gravitating towards the rifle sight option for quick pickup and longer range shots (50-100 yards) at the range.
No special purpose other than a fun gun.

Opinions on either/or are appreciated.
Thanks.

A Ghost ring is a rifle sight. It's a large aperture peep. Been thinking of putting one on my 870 in place of the crappy standard 'V' rear sight that came with the barrel. Williams sells a Fire Sight Ghost Ring Aperture for $9.95. $31.95 for the whole thing. Does require drilling and tapping if your shotgun isn't already.

Ghost ring. All day...every day on a tactical shotgun. The only thing better is one of the micro red dots like the RMR.

Ghost rings are fast, accurate and allow buck or slugs to be used at realistic tac SG distances

Both my 590's and my Benelli have ghost rings and they are great

I have learned, over the years, that I can shoot a conventional, flat topped rifle sight, combined with a fine bead-

2015-11-021_zps2a27hrt3.jpg

-just as well as I can shoot an aperture sight, out to 200 yards.

I say go with the ghost ring sights. I have a 590 with ghost ring sights and like them a lot. The actual ring is very wide open making for easy sight acquisition.

The actual ring is very wide open making for easy sight acquisition.

THAT is why its called a "ghost ring" sight. Super big aperture...thin ring, that ghosts out when you look thru it. The human eye WANTS to center things up.

So you just look thru the rear...put the front on the tgt and go. VERY fast and easy to use. Much different then traditional rifle sights

I have two barrels for my 870 20g slug gun, one has the cantilever scope mount and a Nikon Omega on it and the other has rifle sights for those rainy days. Both are rifled.

For me, I like "peeps" or ghost rings. I shoot both very well on the rifle range and I prefer them for hunting in the brush.

If someone is making barrel mounted ghost rings for the 870 slug barrel, please post a link! I would toss those rifle sights in a heart beat!

peep

Overall, I think the ghost ring peep is a faster, much more versatile sight, and at least technically capable of more accuracy, than a bead and blade. Additionally, I believe the peep in general is more forgiving of older eyes and allows guys like me to shoot w/o some type of optic, a wee bit longer.

Back