Mossberg 590 and 590A1 military

JonJon

I need to know the differences between these two shotguns. I plan on getting one soon and would like to hear your opinions on how they shoot, and which one is better. Thanks!

This subject comes up pretty often. But from what others have posted the main difference is 590A1 has heavier barrel, metal safey and metal trigger guard as opposed to plastic. Otherwise, no diff.

Yeah, what Ned said, plus about $30 to $50, depending on the dealer. If you can get a 590A-1, get it, it's worth the extra $$$. If not, get the 590 and don't worry about it. I've got a 500, an 835, a 590-Security and a 590A-1, the A-1 being the newest, and the other three having seen several years of pretty hard use. I have yet to break the saftey or the trigger guard on any of them, and the difference in barrel isn't really a factor, as long as your not using it as a club. As it stands right now, if TSHTF, I'd grab my 590-Security, plastic parts and all first, simply because it has proven itself to me repeatedly - something my 590A-1 hasen't done yet, but only because it's so new that it hasn't had the chance to "prove itself" yet.
-John

John,
How much should one expect to spend on a new 590a1? My shop has one for $299. 18.5" cyl. bore / bead sight. What kind of mag tubes/extra barrels/etc are compatible with the 590a1. It seems to be a little different, especially around the mag-cap, than the 500 series. I'd like to be able to hunt with it (deer/bird). Thanks for info. BVT

[This message has been edited by BVT (edited February 08, 2000).]

The 590 will only accept barrels made for it, unless you replace the whole mag tube assembly - kinda pointless. My advice would be to buy a 590 for it's intended purpose (home defence/shtf/etc) and pick up an 835 ultimag for hunting. You'll end up spending a little more than with the 590 + barrel/mag tube assembly/etc, but you'll end up having a lot more fun. The standard 500/835 parts will fit the 590a-1 (mag tube, etc.) but you'll have to order them from Mossberg or maybe Brownells. Go with two seperate shotguns. As for the price, $299 is pretty good for an A-1, but personally, I'd pay a little extra and get the ghost ring sighted version. You'd be looking at about $325 - $350 for it. If you were to buy the ghost ring kit after the fact, it would cost you $50 - $85 plus 'smithing to silver solder the front sight on. Just a thought. Hope this answers your question.
-John

Great info guys thanks! I will get the 590A1 with ghost rings. Around here it's about $350 which is pretty good. BTW, since there is no choke tube what size shot gives the tightest patterns within 25 yds? I was thinking about #4 or 000. Your thoughts?

Back