Mossberg 590-A1 Value

SA Scott

I've read several of the HD shotgun threads, and $325-350 seems like the ballpark for a new 590-A1. I saw one for $385 with ghost rings and a speedfeed stock. I can probably get it discounted to $350-370. Is this fair, or should I keep looking?

Thanks,

SA Scott

Hmmm, now I feel like I got ripped off.

I paid a little over $400 for my 590(not A1) with ghost ring sights and parkerized finish (no speedfeed). Maybe I should have shopped around s'more.

If you ask me, it sounds like a great price!

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side

[This message has been edited by jcoyoung (edited February 11, 2000).]

If it's at a dealer you've built some rapport with, you should be able to get it for about $350 + tax and transfer. For an A1 with GR sites and SF stock, that's a great price. If it's with a dealer that you are new to, but plan to do business with in the future, take it at $375-$385 and consider the little extra an investment in future transactions. Most dealers will get a bit irritated if they've never seen you before and you're in there trying to trim off their profit margin. It's good to know wholesale prices to keep them honest, but remember, it's not cheap to keep a business going and provide for a family, especially in this business. Retail on that shotgun of $400 is quite fair. A good sale or special would put it around $375-$385 and a great deal would be anything around $350. Either way, if you want it, I'd say go for it. I figured I'd throw in the "support you local dealer" speach too, since it seemed apropriate - sorry if I got preachy. It's just that in this "information age" it's easy to forget that saving a buck isn't always the ONLY thing to consider. Good luck - you'll love that new A1.
-John

[This message has been edited by John Overbey (edited February 11, 2000).]

John:

Thanks! I should have noted that any discount will be the result of a membership arrangement I have at the range, or a fixed NRA discount, not me trying to chivvy the price down. :)

Only problem now is I don't need to buy it, but i want it, and at that price...? :D

Thanks again,

SA Scott

Aside from the price, I love my 590. Very nice handling shotgun. The ghost ring sight is a MUST have. I bought a Speedfeed IV pistol grip stock but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I didn't really like the shotshell storage in the Speedfeed III stock because it looked a little chincy to me.

I probably still would have bought it if it was $450. I also wish I knew about the A1 varient because I would have bought that instead. Not because it performs any better, but because it's "military issue". That's my $.02-9/10.

Jason

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side

[This message has been edited by jcoyoung (edited February 11, 2000).]

I almost got taken for a ride...I was about to purchase a 590A1 w/ ghost rings last friday. The price was $434!! Another $15 for the speedfeed buttstock. I was going to put down about $200 cash, but they said I had to pay in full because this was a special order that they normally dont carry. With tax and reg I was looking at $504.11!!! Yikes!!

Back