Mossberg 590 12 ga converson to 20 ga?

dontcatchmany

I have a Mssberg 590 Shockwave 12 ga and am wondering if it can be converted to 20 ga?????

I have some 12 ga low recoil ammo on order but just in case it is a tad too much for my old body I am posing this question.

Scoured the www and can not find an answer or a 20 ga 590 that does not have a ridiculous price tag.

If the gun can be converted where to find a barrel and other things to do the conversion.

Thanks, this is my dumb question numbered some where in the millions...lol!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Bolt faces are different sizes as is the mag tube; while not impossible, it would most likely be cost prohibitive.
To reduce recoil, shoot the lightest and slowest payload in the heaviest gun you can handle that fits

Thanks, I kinda thought that but was unsure.

OH, well I will see what the low recoil ammo does in that gun. I have plenty of other guns that will work.

This is one of those "I got a wild hair up kebooza".

Thanks again.

Simple.
Sell it and if a 20 gauge exists in that model then buy that whenever you can find it.

On the other hand winchester low recoil loads weren't bad. Almost wonder if there's a downgraded mini shell for them.

Frame size is different too. Magazine size is smaller diameter. Definitely a trade situation rather than a conversion. 1oz shells kick pretty mild and there is low recoil buck shot out there for 12 gauge.

I have had the Opsol mini clip for several years, but I would not trust it for defense. And I have about 180 rounds of the minishells.

But I took another look at Opsol and they have a 2.0 Flex model that I have on order. Videos show it to be pretty reliable.

I also have low recoil ammo being shipped.

Maybe one/both will work. Meanwhile I have my 20 ga Mossberg 500 Persuader with a birdshead grip that shoots very nicely. Had it out this am. And the 870 Express Magnum has always been reliable.

Thanks folks. I appreciate your input.

Maybe find someone who will reload some 12ga 3/4oz shells for you. They're all I shoot and recoil is very low. At 74 years old I can shoot 150/200 clay bird events in one day without any recoil problems. And they break birds just fine. Even 7/8oz for what you want would still be low recoil.

^^^^^^^^ YEP! I reload 3/4oz for both 12 and 20; getting 533 loads from a bag of expensive shot AND getting a clay-crushing low recoil load is a double win. I run mine at 1275fps; they work my gas guns and function flawlessly from my O/Us and SxS as well.

Back