Mossberg 500’s O.F. Yesteryear

Roamin_Wade

Mossberg 500’s of Yesteryear

Can the Mossberg 500 pump Guns that were made with a single action bar be modified to where it can accept the dual action bars of today’s model 500’s? I’ve heard that the single bar pump guns can bind and even break because of it being a single bar design.

Last edited:
You should have asked about the single action bar guns binding up during operation.

As far as I know, NO Winchester model 12 or Ithaca model 37 have any problems

And they have single action bars!

Much cheaper to buy a new or used 500.

Have you actually had problems with binding or breaking. My dad has one I used for many years but never had that problem. Not that it doesn't happen but it didn't happen to me.

M12s and M37 only need a single action bar as the barrel is threaded into the receiver via interrupted threads, and the bolt and carrier ride in grooves machined in the receiver rather than the Mossberg where the barrel is retained by the magazine nut and the carrier/bolt assembly ride on the action bar arms.

Then if the bolt rides on the action bars under the barrel extension. And if the barrel is removed the bolt should fall out. No wonder there are two action bars they are needed
to support the bolt!

Back