Mossberg 500

sjsfire

Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me out with identifying a small part that came out of my 500 when I took it down to clean. I've looked at parts schematics and can't figure out where this might have come from. I've added pictures next to a tape measure hoping it will help. Thanks, Chris.

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

Using this schematic Mossberg 500 look at part 43 (Cartridge Interruptor). There is a tab that sticks out the side of it and goes into the receiver below the ejection port. It looks like the tab broke off just based on those pictures.

If it is not the one, check your elevator assembly Part # 40 and see if it has both tabs on it.

The cartridge elevator, cartridge interrupter, and the cartridge stop all have a boss like that on them. The elevator has one on each side. I can't remember any other places that use a boss like that...

I checked the parts you both mentioned and I believe I've found what it is. I'm pretty sure it's a bolt lock pin that's sheered in two. I looked at the bolt and found the pin wasn't even on both sides. This piece fits in the side perfectly and the sits even like the other side of the bolt. I was able to locate one at Brownels. Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

IMG_0387.JPG

Chris,

Those pins shouldn't fail. There is only one thing to do, and that is to take the bolt out, and drive the pin out and examine it. Don't fire the gun until you do, as if one side is broke, it is only capable of carrying 1/2 the shear stress it should during firing, and could fail completely.

That Bolt Lock Pin is the one part we didn't remove from the bolt. It was extremely tough and our instructor said that if it didn't come out, leave it alone. They probably use an arbor press to push it in/out. If such is the case, it may need to go back to the factory (unless you have an arbor press).

I received my bolt pin from Midaway. Watched a few YouTube videos about taking the pin out of the bolt. I was able to tap the broken one out and tap the new in using my vise, punch, and ball peen hammer. Seems to cycle fine but I haven't had a chance to fire a round. All seems well. Thanks for everyone's input. Chris

Back