Mossberg 500, Worth Modifying?

Mr. Mister

Inactive
I've got a Mossberg 500 for home protection purposes only. Is this shotgun worth modifying? The only reason why I ask, is because I can't afford anything along the lines of a Benelli right now. If any of you have any suggestions as to what can be done along the lines of sights, lights, stocks, etc. Please let me know. Thanx in advance!

I have a Mossberg 500 also set aside for HD.Tried to keep it simple and cheap. Went with the Mossberg 18" cyl bore with ghost ring sight package. Spent the day at the range trying out ammo. Settled on Federal PD12 personal defense for in the house(first 2 in the mag)H132 low recoil 00(next 3 in the mag) and F127RS slugs(4" groups at 50 yds). The PD12 spread quickly and have little chance going thru the heavy walls in this house. Double 0 if the 1st two don't show the BG the error of their way. Added a Side Saddle for 3 more 00 and 3 slugs if needed. The last item added was a Butler Creek folding pistol grip stock. Makes it possible to keep the gun handy more often. Total cost including gun, under $300 after I sold the 26" barrel and chokes. Given the lay out of the house and our home defense plan I didn't add any lights to the gun. Just a 4 D cell mag light on the nightstand. So yes the 500 is worth modifying IMHO.

------------------
Be careful what you ask for..You may get it.

Any reliable shotgun of at least two shots capacity is a great HD tool. The add ons are nifty, but not essential.

Before going for all the gadgets and gizmos, buyamessa ammo and hie thyself out to the range,frequently. After burning up a case to six, you'll have,A,much better control, and B, a better idea of what actually is positive and what is not.

Anyone who has spent more on bell and whistles than ammo should think about his/her priorities.

I must admit that my HD 870 has a short but impressive list of add ons, but some of my best work has been done with stock duty weapons.

And consider this, the FBI database on shotguns indicates one shot, one neutralized perp. If you're attacked by a group, backup may be what you need, not a coupla more rounds in the extended mag.

Yes, the Mossberg 500 is definitely worth modifying.
My personal 12ga pump is a 500. I have the barrel shortened to 18.5 inches and replaced the standard stock with a synthetic stock with pistolgrip from speedfeed.
I love this weapon. It is easy to maneuver in confined spaces and never fails to cycle the shells I give it. The addition of a good sling will make this smoothbore complete.

Back