Mossberg 500 swivel stud on the cheap.

Blindstitch

I have been looking for about a week for a swivel stud for my Mossberg 500 with tapped barrel. Seemed like those big named stores like Cabelas or Gander Mountain were the only ones that had the threaded one that goes in the barrel. But they were charging $15+. It might be cheap for you but insane for me just to get a little screw. Then there was the larger Uncle Mikes kit that had the replaceable barrel to tube fastening bolt for $25.

My solution was not to get the Uncle mikes kit since I already had the slings with nice fasteners and an extra rear stock stud.

This is the $15+ Uncle Mikes kit.

I didn't check the bolt/thread size tapped into the barrel but figured companies wouldn't tap and thread a bunch of different sizes. My thinking is that the longer studs meant to go in the forends of rifles were probably the same thing but they just hacked the short ones off. I found some of them available as just a stud for $7 plus shipping online but this worked.

I got one of these generic American Sportsman sling kits for $4. Well actually I had a coupon so it was $3. I believe South Bend also sells the same package with their name stamped on it. But either way I measured the depth of the threaded hole in the barrel at .3 of an inch before it contacted the barrel mounting bolt threads. Then I cut the stud down to 1/4 inch with a dremel and added a rubber spacer for good luck. It fit in the hole just fine and didn't cause any problems with dis-assembly. Once fitted with blue locktite it won't wander out but can still be removed.

This is my solution for a frugal individual. I didn't find any info on this with a web search so I figured I would post it with pictures. It may just be an assumption but i'm betting that most threaded forend bolts for rifles would fit just the same.

I hope this helps anyone looking for a stud screw and not trying to break the bank. Oh and if that uncle mikes kit above is used on more than just the Mossberg 500's then I bet the same modification works for them. May involve cutting the stud threaded section to a different size but well worth the thought.

One of the sites I visited said...

The 1 Inch 1531-2 is made specifically to work with most lever action rifles w/fore end band or cap and Mossberg 500 shotguns.

Fits most LEVER ACTION RIFLES and MOSSBERG 500 SERIES SHOTGUNS

I did mine even cheaper. I had an stock studd bolt from somewhere or other, that I screwed into the stock. I wrapped a couple of wraps of electric tape around the magazine tube, then attached the front of the sling to the magazine tube with a hose clamp (redneck engineering). Kept it that way for 20 years or so before I took it off. When I wemt to put it back I'd lost the hose clamp, so I used a big wide cabel tie.

Your's looks nicer. :D

Every packaged swivel/studs set I saw had a 1/4" of unthreaded shoulder on the machine screw stud. I bought the $14.99 set as a result. tom. :confused:

Back