Mossberg 500 problems!

TCW

Afer firing, occasionally the action is very difficult to cycle..like it's jamed. Also a new round got stuck somewhere in between while it was being loaded (cycled). Is this common? Should I trade it for the much talked about 870? Thanks!

I don't think this is common but it sounds like the action bars may be binding on something. I'd dump that dog for an 870 in a heartbeat.

Go ahead and shoot an 870, it's smooth and reliable.

TCW: That is rather uncommon for a Mossberg 500. I got rid of my 870 because of jamming problems, probably my fault, but a shell would back out of the magazine tube before cycling and tie up the gun. On the Mossberg if this happens, the shotshell just falls on the ground. The action design is what I like about the 500. Dead reliable. I have a ghost ring sight 590, too, and have never had any problems with its functioning. If your shotgun is tapped with screwholes on top like my Turkey gun, make sure the screws haven't worked their way too deep into the receiver.

Is this a new gun? If so, what kind of shells were you using? Try using Remington shells for the first 200 round or so to break it in. Fiocchi ammo will tend to bind up the actions on newer shotguns...

I would make sure the extractor is tightly screwed in and positioned correctly. Also check the tension on the metal arm (shell stop?) that holds the shells in the magazine until the action is cycled. The action should be pumped briskly. What kind of shells and what length?

Ledbetter

[This message has been edited by Ledbetter (edited July 19, 2000).]

Back