Mossberg 500 or 590 what's the difference?

rmc2002ag

Inactive
I wanted to get a Mossy 590, but i found a good deal on a 500. So what is the difference between the 500 and the 590? Some specifics would be nice. Help me out please.

Not much difference

I've only handled a 500, and only once, but the main difference appeared to be in the magazine tube. The 590 series has the more conventional style, with a takedown screw that goes on like a cap on the end. The ring on the barrel goes around the tube, and the cap also holds the spring in.

On the 500, the mag tube has a permanently attached end cap that holds the spring in (you have to unscrew the whole tube from the receiver to get the spring out). The end cap has a smaller diameter threaded hole in it for the takedown screw. The ring on the barrel (isn't really a ring, even) butts up to the end of the tube, and the takedown screw goes into the permanent end cap. I think the screw is captive on the barrel.

The 590s are parkerized; 500s are blued.

590s have a parkerized bolt; 500 bolts are shiny.

As stated, the A1 version is where you get a real upgrade.

Watch for special purpose though

You gotta watch what you're getting if you want a 590A1 though, they've got whats called a "special purpose" A1, on which you can get bayo. lug (on 9-shot models) GR sights, etc... But the special purpose A1 still has plastic components and a standard barrel. You've got to get an actual law-enforcment A1 to get the metal trigger group/safety and heavy bbl. The 590DA is a law enforcment 590 with a double-action trigger and a modified cylender heavy bbl. I don't know if you can get these or not if you're not a LEO, I tried to order just the barrel to swap out on my A1 and was informed that I had to be a LEO just to get the barrel. (Mossbergs' policy, not the dealers)

I got a 590A1.

I'm suprised at Mossbergs LEO only thing. They must be getting as bad as Remington. I had some FFLs state that it was LEO only which is FALSE. Some FFLs' had distributors that would only sell to LEOs as well. Unfortunately for them, they wouldn't try to find one for me from another distributor. I did finally find a knowledgable FFL with access to a sensible distributor (Leigh over on Glocktalk).

All 590A1s are 'mil-spec'. All 590s are not. I remember the 590DA as being offered in their 'civillian catalog.' I do not believe that their 590A1s are in their 'civillian catalog' though. The types of 590A1s are listed in their LE Price Guide on their site though.

FWIW I have a 590A1 for sale on this board for $300.

Ledbetter,

I checked Mossberg's website and it doesn't mention the steel receiver on the A1...Are you sure? I'd jump on an all-steel mossy...

I just picked up my 590A1 last month. The receiver is not steel, it's still aluminum.

The differences are:

- Heavy barrel
- steel safety
- steel (maybe alloy, but definately not plastic) triggergaurd

My 590A1 has ghost ring's and a bayonet lug but I've also seen bead sight models listed as well as a moedl with 20" barrel, but a short mag tube, bead sight and no bayonet lug.

Here is my 590A1. Heavy barrel, steel trigger guard, steel safety, etc.... So far it has been a great gun with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

mossberg590a1.jpg

I dedcided to get a tricked out 500. I plan to get the A1, later, when I have more $$$. Thanks for all the help. Feel free to piggy back this as long as you want.

-RLM

Wait a minute.

I have a Mossy 500, purchased new December '99, that has the eight shot mag and the conventional "screw off" mag cap. Did they change something I don't know about?:confused:

Back